FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM - Replace Record Run TC with Time of Day

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Elkins
XDCAM - Replace Record Run TC with Time of Day
on Jul 16, 2010 at 6:39:24 pm

Hi All,

Does anyone know whether there is a way to replace the record run timecode that is in an XDCAM-EX .mp4 file with the time of day timecode?

When I use ClipBrowser to look at the acquisition meta-data for the clips the T.O.D. is listed as well as the rec-run timecode. Is there a way to swap the timecode in the file for the T.O.D.? (this will save me literally hours of manually syncing files from one cam to another because one cameraman couldn't follow some very simple instructions! Argh!)

Hopefully this is possible.

Alex

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed
Check out my latest addition to the Creative Cow Reels Section

Return to posts index

Hal Dick
Re: XDCAM - Replace Record Run TC with Time of Day
on Jul 16, 2010 at 9:19:02 pm

Not sure if there's more automatic way, but you could always bring the clips into FCP and use "Modify -> Timecode" -- you can either replace the current TC track or add an auxiliary track.

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Jul 16, 2010 at 10:28:37 pm

Hi Hal,

Thanks for the suggestion. It ought to work, although in my particular situation I think it's quicker to just sync the shots I need by sight than to manually change TC on each clip as I have so many. (This is multi-cam sports highlights so I'm just selecting the sequences that I need to show and syncing them seperately).

I've since discovered that the camera was actually set up to record T.O.D. but the op took it upon himself to do the opposite of everything the producer told him, i.e. record-run TC and stop/start recording.

I did try the amazing (and free) QTChange application to change the timecode but wasn't having any luck - it works with Canon DSLR video anyway.
Bouke - if you're reading this, is this something that could easily be implemented? There is an option to 'Use Shooting Time' but it didn't have the desired effect in this instance.

Thanks for the help,
Alex

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jul 17, 2010 at 6:22:03 am

In this case, i did read it.
But i don't read everything, so if in need, you can always contact me direct.

QTchange works on QT files. Although Mp4 is QT compatible, i'm not sure how the TC is in there.

At least for now, QT change looks at the .mov extension.
(Even if you have hidden them in your OS, it will work.)

So it won't find .Mp4 files.

Now when you transcode the .Mp4 to a .Mov, the filedate as TC source won't work, as there is a new file created....

Of course it will be possible to make 'something', buti need to see a testclip, and it might turn out to be concidered a custom job, if i don't see common use for many others.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Jul 17, 2010 at 11:50:12 am

Hi Bouke - appreciate the response, thank you.

[Bouke Vahl] "Now when you transcode the .Mp4 to a .Mov, the filedate as TC source won't work, as there is a new file created...."

I did test this but as suspected a lot of the metadata was lost in the conversion process. I wondered if ClipBrowser could do it but I can't seem to find an option despite being able to see the T.O.D. listed there - so close yet so far!

Many thanks,
Alex

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jul 17, 2010 at 2:12:40 pm

well,
I could write something that takes the TC info from the XML and puts it in the transcoded QT's, but that will take me at least an hour, and i will bill you for it.
So my advice is to byte the bullet.
Open the folder containing the Mp4's, set the folder to list view and sort on name or creation time.
Next, go trough your bin and set the TC manually.
Should be very well doable, and take you less time than me to code it.
(unless you have zillions of clips that is...)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Jul 17, 2010 at 3:07:27 pm

Hi Bouke,

I did indeed bite the bullet on this one and continued to sync manually. By being selective in what I use I've been able to minimise the amount of time spent doing this, although it's a kind of back-to-front way of having to do it!

Hopefully this won't happen again (ha!) so if/when it does I may need to contact you - it sounds like you know exactly how to fix it which is extremely reassuring! Just all depends on how many clips and just how critical it is to have everything in sync.

Thanks again,
Alex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]