FORUMS: list search recent posts

Here's one for ya...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Carey
Here's one for ya...
on Jul 16, 2010 at 2:04:51 pm

Has anyone seen the mysterious 16 channel batch capture from 2 channel logged clips?

In order to save time with HDV footage, we'll capture it using the HDV-ProRes Sony 1080i29.97 Easy Setup. It captures the footage at two channel stereo. We'll then log the clips correctly with descriptions and any log notes. Then, we'll delete the media using the Make Offline command, change the audio to mono (still 2 channels) and then re-cature into DVCProHD (faster and friendlier than ProRes, especially at 1440x1080).

Well, sometimes and rather mysteriously, the footage will be re-captured at 16 channel rather than the 2 channels that has been logged. At this point you have two choices... Deal with it in the edit or blow the media and re-capture AGAIN. At this point, everything is fine, after the second re-capture.

Here's the real kicker... This doesn't happen all of the time. Just sometimes. Fixing permissions, blowing prefs, repairing HD don't make any difference in this.

Oh yeah... That 2 channels of stereo audio that has been reselected to 2 channel mono is STILL panned left and right but its not linked as stereo.

We're using FCP 7.0.2, OS 10.6.3 on a Mac Pro systems. Both have 8 gig of RAM, one using 1 gig bars, the other using 2 gig bars. Edit3 is a Octo core, 2007 version and Edit2 is a Quad core, 2006 version. Other than that... the two systems are identical in every way possible, down to the ATTO fiber channel cards. Both systems were upgraded with CLEAN installs with the previous version on a backup hard drive.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Here's one for ya...
on Jul 16, 2010 at 2:17:40 pm

This happens when you switch from an Analog or SDI Setup (8bit uncompressed, ProRes, etc...) to a Firewire Setup (DV, HDV, etc...) and then back to the Analog / SDI Setup.

If you have a system equipped with something like our AJA Kona 3 boards, FCP will automatically set itself up for the maximum available audio inputs. For whatever reason, when you switch from the SDI to Firewire and then back again, FCP turns on all 16 channels of audio.

Doesn't matter if you only logged with 2 channels during the original logging process, FCP will activate all 16 channels and it will capture with all 16 channels.

The workaround is to go into your Clip Settings in Log and Capture. Deselect the 14 bogus channels, then tell it to use "Current Settings" in the Batch Capture window. Then you will only capture 2 channels of audio.

This is the way it's been since I can remember and I've spoken to AJA about this. There it nothing they can do on their end to force FCP to ignore the additional 14 channels of audio. Apple would have to address this so it only captures the footage as it was originally logged.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jul 16, 2010 at 2:30:41 pm

[walter biscardi] "The workaround is to go into your Clip Settings in Log and Capture. Deselect the 14 bogus channels, then tell it to use "Current Settings" in the Batch Capture window. Then you will only capture 2 channels of audio. "

Thanks, Walter. I am aware of this and it is annoying to some extent. But it still happens, not all of the time but sometimes.

Yes, we are using Kona3 cards and HD10AVA converter boxes for the HDV decks.

I love the automatic logging of HDV-ProRes but it would be really nice if this could carry on to other capture methods, too. Sure would save a lot of time.

[walter biscardi] "This is the way it's been since I can remember and I've spoken to AJA about this. There it nothing they can do on their end to force FCP to ignore the additional 14 channels of audio. Apple would have to address this so it only captures the footage as it was originally logged. "

Thanks for the remind on this. I, now, remember running into this years ago, too. I knew that someone out here would know something about this.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 16, 2010 at 2:32:08 pm

[Wayne Carey] "Thanks for the remind on this. I, now, remember running into this years ago, too. I knew that someone out here would know something about this."

Yep, you just have to remember to check the Clip Settings in Log and Capture before you start the Batch. It's a pain, but definitely easier than dealing with 16 channels of bogus audio.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jul 16, 2010 at 2:28:37 pm

How do you recapture from HDV to DVCPRO HD?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 16, 2010 at 2:30:41 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "How do you recapture from HDV to DVCPRO HD?"

Piece of cake using an AJA Kona 3. You can capture to any codec. In our case we use an AJA Converter to convert the Component video and analog audio output to an HD-SDI stream that runs into the Kona 3. From there you can capture it to anything you want.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jul 16, 2010 at 2:31:49 pm

Exactly what we do on a daily basis.

Awesome tool! AJA rocks!

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

David Heidelberger
on Jul 16, 2010 at 6:03:57 pm

Hi Wayne,

There is also a third option. You can use my free Audio Track Batcher or Video Toolshed's free QTChange to instantly batch delete the extra audio tracks. You just want to do it early, right after capture, because sometimes Final Cut can get cranky if audio tracks go missing once you've started editing with them.

- David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]