FORUMS: list search recent posts

problems converting files w/ProRes 4444 compression

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barton Lewis
problems converting files w/ProRes 4444 compression
on Jul 15, 2010 at 7:54:58 pm

I have a question which I think is appropriate to this forum, but if not, please direct to me to correct one. I am a filmmaker who had his 16mm films digitally scanned and rendered with ProRes 4444 compression as very large QuickTime files (19 GB). I was told I could convert these files to smaller ones for web use using either Final Cut Pro or QuickTime Pro. I used the Export feature in QuickTime Pro to make a smaller (4,785 KB) file. However, when I open the file in QuickTime, only sound plays, no picture. The settings I used were Export: Movie to QuickTime Movie; Use: Streaming: Medium (I also tried Low); Options, Settings: Compression Type: H.264; Frame Rate: 10 fps; Key Frames: Every 50 frames; Data Rate: Restrict to 80 kbits/sec; Optimized for Streaming; Encoding: Best Quality (Multi-pass); Dimensions: 320X240 QVGA with the Preserve Aspect Ratio box checked (the aspect ratio of the original file is 1920X1080); Deinterlace Source Video box unchecked; PREPARE FOR INTERNET STREAMING box checked; Hinted Streaming; Make Movie Self-Contained box checked. I have not included the audio settings since the sound is working.
I noticed that when I open the 19 GB file, a large screen appears which I have to change to Half Screen or Fit to Screen; when I open the smaller file, a much smaller QuickTime screen appears which I then enlarge (although it makes no difference – sound but no picture plays in any case). I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
Re: problems converting files w/ProRes 4444 compression
on Jul 15, 2010 at 8:32:15 pm

Well, first of all I think, you are missing some plug ins for your QT Player to be able to play the H.264 - you get download those from the web.
Secondly, if you have FCP, you might also have Compressor, I do recommend to encode the files with compressor - it is much better quality.
Maybe you can tell me your system spec - computer and what software you have on it.
Another option is the application "MPEG Streamclip" to convert - you can download that one as well for free from the web.

Greetings,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Barton Lewis
Re: problems converting files w/ProRes 4444 compression
on Jul 16, 2010 at 7:49:07 pm

Thank you. I have QuickTime 7 (not the free version) -- and it says "QuickTime [7] features advanced video compression technology called H.264 to deliver brilliant, crisp HD video using less bandwidth and storage." So are you sure I need to download something to see my files? Second, what is FCP? I am no expert but it would seem that everything I need to convert and play my files is self-contained in QuickTime 7 -- but perhaps not. I have a Toshiba Satellite 1550 CDS laptop and I am using Windows XP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]