FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP vs Media Composer 5

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wendell Davis
FCP vs Media Composer 5
on Jul 15, 2010 at 1:35:57 pm

I'm shooting a new project with JVC's HM700. Very interested to know if anyone has comments on editing with Media Composer 5 vs FCP. I have the latest FCP and have use MC before. But before plunking $2500 down I'd love to hear comments.

Thanks so much.
Wendell

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
Re: FCP vs Media Composer 5
on Jul 15, 2010 at 2:24:03 pm

There is a 30 day free trial ... give it a go!
Matt.

Return to posts index

Wendell Davis
on Jul 15, 2010 at 2:43:26 pm

Thanks I've been thinking about that. I'm not seeing very good workflow comments on using Quicktime and HD with Avid. I'm swamped and hoping for some serious suggestions, I owned Media Composers for 10 years in the past, liked it but upgrades got way to expensive for non-profit work. In many ways I prefered the MC interface to FCP.
Thanks
Wendell

Looking at use for both field and desktop use.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 15, 2010 at 5:45:43 pm

Avid MC5 works with a lot of QT media. And Quicktime AMA makes it a lot easier. It can import and work with ProRes natively, for example. BUT, the issue is working with codecs that are supported. That JVC camera shoots two formats of native QT files...XDCAM and HDV. The ProRes decoder is built into QT 7.6, so anyone can view the files. But those particular QT codecs only come with FCP. There are third party decoders for them, but that means spending more money. But once you do you can access them via QT AMA and then transcode to DNxHD.

The issue is that the camera basically was designed to shoot footage for specific use in FCP only.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Wendell Davis
on Jul 15, 2010 at 5:54:18 pm

Thanks so much Shane. I edit in FCP Pro-Res. Think I'll stay that way.
Wendell

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]