FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Card Transfer Slows Down Video, not Audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Rodgers
P2 Card Transfer Slows Down Video, not Audio
on Jul 14, 2010 at 6:22:13 pm

Hello,
so I've been given footage to edit shot on a Panasonic HVX 200.
The footage was shot at 24p on a 16GB P2 Card.
When I previewed on the card reader the file looked fine.
Unfortunately after the transfer the clips logged incorrectly.
The video was slowed down and the audio remained the same and I hadn't even thrown the clips into the time line. This is directly playing them from the Viewer.

Unfortunately someone mistook my P2 Cards and taped over them.

While I do have the files they are all captured just like I said in the Capture Scratch folder.

What is some advice other than to keep my P2 Cards in a more safe place next time.

*Also the clip still registers as 23.97 fps, even though it plays a substantially slower rate.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: P2 Card Transfer Slows Down Video, not Audio
on Jul 14, 2010 at 6:47:22 pm

You didn't back up the MXF files?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 14, 2010 at 7:07:38 pm

Why does no one back up the cards?

Rule #1...BACK UP THE CARDS! Full card structure. This is true of ANY AND ALL tapeless formats. Because the recording medium gets reused...P2, XDCAM, SD, Compact flash. You must always, ALWAYS backup. These backups are you master tapes.

Unfortunately, without the original cards, the easy fix for this is gone. "In the P2 Import window...in the P2 Browser, there is a little sprocket drop down menu. Click on that and choose PREFERENCES. Uncheck REMOVE PULLDOWN and then try importing again."

I don't know what you can do about things now. Lay the footage out on a timeline, audio first. Then try to speed up the video and lay it on top of the audio until it syncs up, and remains in sync. Then export new QT masters. Yes, this is a pain in the butt. But this is what happens when you don't do things right. ALWAYS back up your cards.

Why don't people know this? This is the first thing you need to learn about before the camera gets put into your hands.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Samuel Rodgers
on Jul 14, 2010 at 8:02:02 pm

Okay thanks anyways.
I'll be sure to be careful next time.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 14, 2010 at 8:19:21 pm

Pardon my harshness, but this cannot be stressed more. It pains me to hear of mistakes like this, and unfortunately we hear this same issue pretty much every day here on the Cow. Someone imported the footage and erased the cards and now something is wrong, how can they fix it? The fix is typically very easy, if you had the originals.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Doug Keesey
on May 4, 2011 at 6:44:25 pm

Just found this post and I know it's old, but THANK YOU!! This was a life saver. We shot 720p30 on our HVX200 and the audio sounded fine but the video was in slo mo. We normally shoot 720p60 and have never had a problem like this before. We still had the footage on the P2 cards and were able to uncheck the box for remove pulldown. Worked great. Again, Thanks!!

My question now is...WHY did this happen? Is there a setting that we had incorrect on the camera when shooting? Like I said, we've been shooting 720p60 most of the time but this client prefers 720p30. This is the first time we've had this problem in shooting during the 5 years we've had the HVX200. If anyone can answer the WHY question, I'd really appreciate it. I'd just like to understand it so we can be sure to avoid it in the future.

Thanks.

Doug Keesey
http://www.EyeOnCreative.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]