FORUMS: list search recent posts

Laptop Editor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Cavins
Laptop Editor
on Jul 14, 2010 at 1:14:56 pm

Can anyone recommend a laptop with specs for editing in FCP for the following goals:

Footage recorded in 720p or 1080p from a Sony HDR-SR5 camera. Video will not be very long. End result would be a movie under 10 minutes long 95% of the time. Most of the videos are under three minutes after editing.

Would likely also use Adobe After Effects at times as well to do some minor effects on videos.

The end result may require creating a DVD. Currently we use Encore CS3 for this and would likely include this on the laptop.

Photoshop would be needed only for creating custom menus for the DVD.

We are looking to have a portable system so we don't need to lug around a Mac Pro machine and monitor that we use in our office.

If more information is needed, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tim

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Laptop Editor
on Jul 14, 2010 at 2:00:31 pm

This has been discussed very often in this forum. I'd suggest a search.

My advice is to get the newest/fastest 17" you can afford with 4GBs of RAM or more.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
on Jul 14, 2010 at 3:42:03 pm

what Jeremy said, though any intel-based macbook pro WILL work. The bigger/faster/more ram the computer, the better your experience will be.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 14, 2010 at 7:47:54 pm

[Dennis Leppell] "The bigger/faster/more ram the computer, the better your experience will be. "

So true... especially more RAM, and particularly for After Effects. If you want to use AE in its multiprocessing mode, you'll want to have 2 GB PER CORE at the very least... plus more for other good things to have, like the operating system.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tim Cavins
on Jul 14, 2010 at 5:53:11 pm

I have Final Cut Studio 2 running on a Mac Pro Quad Core Intel Xeon processor.

The requirements on the box of Final Cut Studio 2 say: "Mac computer with 1.25 GHz or faster PowerPC 64, PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, or Intel Xeon processor."

The Macbook Pro comes with a 2.53GHz Intel Core i5 or an optional i7. Would this software work on this?

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]