COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gian-Reto Gredig
export for hd media player
on Jul 12, 2010 at 9:04:04 pm

Hi there
i have tw0 questions here.

i recorded on a Canon XH G1 in HDV 1080i50. pal. 25fps

i have a full hd projector: Sanyo PLV-Z800.

and i want to avoid all the hassel and costs with burnig bluray discs.

1. i wonder what the right settings for exporting would be if i want to use an hd media player instead of bluray. i want of course to project the best possible quality.

2. i researched some hd media players. i see there are some with built in hard discs others with usb sticks. then they are able or not able to play a range of different formats... is it possible that they play without problems (dropouts or however it is called) via an usb stick? is this fast enough? so, can somebody recommend a good player, which plays the format i need for a perfect full hd projection?

thanks a lot for any help.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: export for hd media player
on Jul 12, 2010 at 10:56:37 pm

I can't recommend a media player per se, but I'd suggest you want one that supports h.264 files... it's what many Blu-Ray dics have on them. You can totally scale it bit rate wise, so might start by compressing with a stock preset which matches the bit rate of the Blu-Ray burns and see if that's not good enough. Apple TV would do it I'm sure.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Gian-Reto Gredig
on Jul 13, 2010 at 6:49:13 am

ok, what i did up to now to play it with bluray is the following: from fcp via compressor i'm exporting an Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)-file. than in toast it's encoded again to a mpeg-4 avc file, that's actually the automatic setting in toast. that's the process a friend of mine showed to me. it takes hours to encode it with compressor and again hours to encode it with toast. that's also a reason why i want to avoid the bluray. it seems to me a bit of a complicated process, but the result is very good.

as my project is 70 minutes long, i guess i need a player with a built in hd. so apple tv maybe a solution. but maybe there's something a littel cheaper...

thanks for your help up to now.

gian

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jul 13, 2010 at 8:06:46 pm

There's no gain by exporting and transcoding to ProRes before you send it on to compress to MPEG... only loss involved technically. The less you change compressions schemes, the better. i.e., the few times you recompress the better.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 12, 2010 at 10:57:03 pm

[Gian-Reto Gredig] "...i want to avoid all the hassel and costs with burnig bluray discs.... i researched some hd media players. i see there are some with built in hard discs..."

Hmmmm. Let's see. You're unwilling to get a Blu-ray burner, which can be used to put all sorts of things on disk... but you're willing to get an HD player, which has only one single use. Is that correct?

[Gian-Reto Gredig] "so, can somebody recommend a good player, which plays the format i need for a perfect full hd projection? "

And what might that format be? Do you mean the video codec, perhaps? I also see you were looking at using USB sticks, so your HD projects couldn't be very long.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gian-Reto Gredig
on Jul 13, 2010 at 6:19:48 am

Well. with bluray it takes me hours to burn it. i thought with an hd player it would be faster, too. and as i see they don't play only one format but several. so not only hd, but i could use also for my old sd-stuff, correct?

yes, that was a mistake. of course, usb-sticks won't work, because my video is 70 minutes long.
and yes, i mean the video-codec.

and sorry for my english being not perfect. thanks for your help anyway.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 13, 2010 at 4:48:33 pm

Before you give up on Blu-Ray burning hardware, keep in mind that they don't have to burn authored disks only. They can also create data disks (large capacity!) with any kind of file on them. I don't know this for a fact, but I would not be surprised to learn that burn SD DVD's as well. Not to mention that they play Blu-Ray disks.

That sounds quite versatile to me --a piece of hardware with quite a few uses, as opposed to a Blu-Ray player, with only one use.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]