FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to format a Lacie Drive 1GT Esata External for Final Cut P?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simen Myrberget
How to format a Lacie Drive 1GT Esata External for Final Cut P?
on Jul 9, 2010 at 4:22:56 pm

I have a brand new La Cie Rugged Xl 1TB hardisk and a La Cie Sata II Esata 34 Expresscardadapter.

1.) How to format the drive to work best with Final Cut Pro and Prores HQ?

2.) How to maintain the ability to use disk Utility to repair permissions (this is still something important for a vide drive right)?

I tried to format (erase) the drive with Disk Utility, but before and also after the formatting the repair of disk utility is still not available within Disk Utility for this drive.

And why is there two "drives" representing one drive in Disk Utility (one of them labelled "media" ?)
After formatting the drive came up as SCUSI although it is a Esata drive.....

I did format it this way (Mac OS Extended), no journaling.....

I still have much to learn ..... :-)

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Jerry Hofmann
Re: How to format a Lacie Drive 1GT Esata External for Final Cut P?
on Jul 9, 2010 at 6:59:41 pm

You only need and will see the option to repair permissions on a startup disk (one that contains an OS).

You've formatted the drive correctly.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Simen Myrberget
on Jul 9, 2010 at 11:28:27 pm

I got this advice from a helpful person, comments?:

To avoid permissions issues on the drives that you will be using for video, do the following:

•Right click the drive's icon on the Desktop or in the Finder's sidebar and choose Get Info.
•Go to the bottom of the Get Info window and click the triangle next to Sharing and Permissions to open that section.
•Click the lock and authenticate with an Administrator User name and password.
•Activate the checkbox for Ignore ownership on this volume.

I still have much to learn ..... :-)

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jul 10, 2010 at 1:07:45 pm

He's correct, but those permission settings are a manual way of allowing all users to use the media drives. If you open disk utility and select a media drive or storage drive - one without an OS on it - the repair permissions command will not be available, and this is as it should be. You should be able to Verify and repair the disk, but not be able to select "repair permissions".

Again... you've done things right. No journalling, and Mac OS Extended for the format. This is the proper way to setup a media drive for FCP.

Might look at my new DVD on setting up a system BTW... it's sold here on the COW. http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup If you follow the instructions on it, you'll get as stable a setup as can be had with any version of FCS... I also explain every setting there is in FCP...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]