FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why does the exported sequence change size from 5d stills

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ski Gajewski
Why does the exported sequence change size from 5d stills
on Jul 9, 2010 at 2:59:13 pm

I am trying to edit a music video with stills shot on a Canon 5D at 5616 × 3744 (3:2) but at as soon as I export the the sequence it forces me to export at 720x480. When I try to up res the footage to something that is usable in hd say 720 it gets very bad interlacing errors, which also makes no sense to me. So does anyone know how to prevent this? And more importantly keep it at a resolution that could be broadcast.

I should also say that I have tired to export it through compressor with various settings and it is still the same problem.

"Sometimes you ride the Pony, and sometimes the Pony rides you..."

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Why does the exported sequence change size from 5d stills
on Jul 9, 2010 at 3:25:50 pm

What is your sequence setting? FCP limit is 4K (4000 x 4000) for stills and video.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 9, 2010 at 3:38:24 pm

[Ski Gajewski] "...as soon as I export the the sequence it forces me to export at 720x480..."

That's because you edited in a 720x480 edit timeline. You want more resolution? Edit in a timeline with more resolution.

And keep in mind what you're expected to DELIVER. If you're expected to deliver DVD's 720x480 is fine. If you're expected to deliver something for a film-out, work in a 2K timeline.

The delivery specs determine how you work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ski Gajewski
on Jul 9, 2010 at 3:47:37 pm

It was a sequence setting that was wrong. The funny thing is occurred to me as soon as I hit send. The problem was the client gave me the project and said it was set correctly in the sequence and I made the mistake of not checking it. She did not realize that 720 was the last number in the ratio not the first as she had it set up. so we can forget this question was ever asked... But thanks for the responses.

"Sometimes you ride the Pony, and sometimes the Pony rides you..."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 9, 2010 at 5:33:50 pm

Okay, so it's a 1280x720 edit timeline then.

Since you're using 5616 × 3744 stills, are you animating them in FCP to create pans, zooms and such? If yes, you might consider doing the work in Motion or After Effects, both of which have far better scaling algorithms than FCP and preserve far more image quality.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]