FORUMS: list search recent posts

workflow for teranex upres & test

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve A
workflow for teranex upres & test
on Jul 8, 2010 at 1:28:16 pm

We have a doc feature for broadcast, shot in anamorphic DVCAM that we will be finishing at a post house in 1080i using a teranex hardware upconverter, recapturing from camera tapes.

Am assuming we should use media manager to create new offline project, selecting broadcast 1080i for new sequences.

We need to do a 5 minute test from the middle of the film a week before we picture lock other parts of the film. Should we do it by selecting those clips in the timeline and running media manager on just those clips or should we make a separate timeline for the test?

This relates to the next question: When we later come back with the full, locked sequence will it link to the previously captured clips? If so, is there an efficient way to make sure we don't recapture those clips again from tape.

Also, does FC have any problem if some clips don't actually have handles as long as you select in MM?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: workflow for teranex upres & test
on Jul 8, 2010 at 5:06:20 pm

I would call the place that you plan on getting the footage unconverted, but what I would do is a textless/graphicless self contained movie of the whole show in SD.

Take that file over to the conversion house and upconvert the whole thing to HD, then add text/graphics that have been created in HD.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Steve A
on Jul 8, 2010 at 5:21:28 pm

thanks Jeremy

They can only get through the teranex by coming out of a deck, not file to file. Also, one reason to stay with individual clips as opposed to a single long clip/file is to be able to color correct each shot separately and not have to go in and add edits at every cut.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 8, 2010 at 5:25:44 pm

[Steve A] "They can only get through the teranex by coming out of a deck, not file to file."

Then make a tape master.

[Steve A] "Also, one reason to stay with individual clips as opposed to a single long clip/file is to be able to color correct each shot separately and not have to go in and add edits at every cut. "

The problem is is that your TC is going to be screwed up as the Teranex processing can take a few frames or more. Again, I would talk to the conversion house, but putting a Teranex between the capture card and FCP can be possible, you just have to live with some slippage.

Also, you can try this scene detection plugin for long files:

http://www.scene-detector.com/

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Steve A
on Jul 9, 2010 at 1:45:01 am

can FC do scene break detection on capture (it's listed as part of the HDV workflow) or does that require a TC break? If we do the single strand approach TC would be continuous.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jul 9, 2010 at 1:58:17 am

FCP can only do "Scene detection" chile capturing HDV where it breaks the capture into separate files,
or on DV, where it can add a marker to the scene changes after capture.

but forget scene detection. you don't need it.
you have your original timeline with every edit in place.

just bring in your one file, lay it on top, and go through and blade it up.
down arrow control V, down arrow, control V etc, etc.
that will be faster.
OR:
can Color use an EDL made form the original sequence to set the grading notches?

however i do like the idea of having each shot as a separate file.
better for CC as you say.
also better, i suspect, if you have done any motion effects or picture in picture.
more thorough, anyway.

surely with the tests you are doing you can determine an offset for any slippage?

nick

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 9, 2010 at 2:00:36 am

Not from a single file, but I linked to an application that will help in a previous post.

Scene detection works from dv based material, and even then it's not really scene detection, but rather camera start stop detection. So if you made a tape master, it'd be a continous take and FCP won't mark the file. Hope that makes sense.

Check out Scene Detector, though.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jul 9, 2010 at 12:28:25 am

"Am assuming we should use media manager to create new offline project, selecting broadcast 1080i for new sequences."

yes

"Should we do it by selecting those clips in the timeline and running media manager on just those clips or should we make a separate timeline for the test? "

it really doesn't matter
the Media MAnager will create a new project & timeline for you anyway,
and your "source" sequence wont be affected in any way

"When we later come back with the full, locked sequence will it link to the previously captured clips?"

no. highly unlikely

"If so, is there an efficient way to make sure we don't recapture those clips again from tape."

get these clips sent back to you and use them in the timeline.

if you delete the clip's reel#, then they should turn up in the "Offline sequence" that you create when you finally Media Manage the sequence for re-capture.
then do another MM pass on that sequence where you COPY all the non-TC media to a new drive that you take to the on-line place.

if deleting the clip's reel# doesn't work, then you might have to open each clip into QT and remove it's TC track.

it could almost be worth just re-capturing

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]