FORUMS: list search recent posts

Calibrated MP4EX - Conform .MP4 to .mov for grade

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Elkins
Calibrated MP4EX - Conform .MP4 to .mov for grade
on Jul 8, 2010 at 12:03:46 pm

Hi all,

I've quite recently begun using the Calibrated MP4-EX plugin to enable me to edit XDCAM-EX files without re-wrapping. However I've now run into a snag...
I'm trying to conform the edit of XDCAM-EX .MP4 files to ProRes OR re-wrap as mov so that I can grade with Color.
Media Manager Re-compress to ProRes doesn't seem to be working - it just inexplicably copies the MP4 files into a new location.

One solution I can think of is to render out the full programme as a ProRes Quicktime, export an EDL and then bring that into Color as a cut list for the ProRes file. The problem with this is of course the tediousness of having to manually create handles for any transitions etc.
Or I could just go with the old 3-Way CC filter.
Or import into After Effects CS4 to grade with Color Finesse.

Has anyone found a more automated way to do what I'm attempting?

System Set Up:
FCP 7.0.2, Color 1.5.2
Calibrated MP4 EX v1.6.2.0 (there is a newer release - should I upgrade?)
All files contained within original BPAV structure

Many thanks,
Alex

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed
Check out my latest addition to the Creative Cow Reels Section

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Greg Booth
Re: Calibrated MP4EX - Conform .MP4 to .mov for grade
on Jul 8, 2010 at 1:09:41 pm

Hi Alex,

Sorry for the problem.

But it should be an easy fix.

Basically, there are some function in FCP that won't work properly unless the TypeCode of the file is set to 'MooV' (i.e. like the SmoothCam Filter or the Media Menagament Recompress to ProRes0.

We do have a way in our Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import Options to Auto-Change the TypeCode of the MP4 file to 'MooV'

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/supportlibrary_view.asp?FAQs_ID=15

You can read about it in the above link (link above refers to SmoothCam Filter but is applicable in your scenario as well)

You can also read more here in the new User Guide here (see bottom of Page 11):

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/downloads/CalibratedQ-MP4EX-UserGuide.pdf

If you have any questions, please email me at info@calibratedsoftware.com

In the next release of Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import for OSX, the change TypeCode feature to 'MooV' will be enabled by default.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Greg Booth
on Jul 8, 2010 at 1:28:33 pm

Hi Alex,

Just a quick follow-up, so what you'd want to do:

1. Close all apps.
2. Set the Auto-Change TypeCode to 'MooV' in the Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Options app (and if your version has the 'unlock/relock LOCKED files then check that)
3. Restart computer
4. Re-open FCP project - which then Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import should change the TypeCode of MooV files in your project to MooV
5. And then you should be able to re-compress to ProRess via Media Manager

If you have any questions, please email info@calibratedsoftware.com

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Jul 8, 2010 at 1:49:23 pm

Greg,

Thank you so much. It worked perfectly in a quick test I've just done. Excellent!

I'm going to guess that another question I have may be related - when I open the MP4 files with Quicktime Player there is no audio playback. This is also the case when playing the files in CatDV. Making it impossible to use for logging interviews etc.
Is there an import option that will enable audio playback with these apps, and is it ok to keep switching between Moov and another setting?

Many thanks,
Alex Elkins

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Jul 8, 2010 at 1:55:57 pm

Hi Alex,

Cool - glad it worked.

Per the two questions:

1. There really shouldn't be a need to set the TypeCode back/forth to other settings - leaving it at MooV is fine.

2. Per the audio - that should just play/work - nothing special needs to be done. Is this 2-channel audio or 4-channel audio MP4 files. Currently we only support 2-channel audio - but the next version will also support 4-channel audio MP4 files as well. Can you hear (or see audio bars) in QT Player 7? I can take a look at one of the MP4 files that does not show audio if you wanted to yousendit to me - just find a small MP4 file with the problem and zip up the folder and yousendit to info@calibratedsoftware.com and I can take a look.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Jul 8, 2010 at 3:03:30 pm

Hi Greg,

These are all just with 2-channel audio (one internal camera mic, the other line from a boom). Digging a little deeper I've actually found that I get audio if I playback via Mac internal speakers but not through the Kona 3, which is what I would like.

Any thoughts as to how I might be able to route the audio correctly through the Kona 3?

Thanks,
Alex

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Jul 8, 2010 at 3:11:50 pm

Hi Alex,

No ideas about the Kona3 audio - you might want to email with AJA support about that. All Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import does is report to QuickTime the audio layout of the MP4 file - which does seem to be working since audio plays out of the internal Mac speakers. The XDCAM EX MP4 2-channel audio is packed as Dual-Mono channels if that helps. If you get in touch with AJA support and they need any info - I'd be happy to talk with them.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Jul 8, 2010 at 4:28:01 pm

Hi Greg,

Thanks again for being such a great help. I've found that in Quicktime Player if I assign the audio channels to display CH1-L and CH2-R rather than dual mono I get playback via Kona 3. See below...

No Audio Playback:

Audio Playback:

I don't understand why the latter works but it perhaps sheds some light for you/AJA. The problem with this is that to save these settings overwrites and (I think) re-compresses the file, which is no good with XDCAM. Plus I'd have to do this to every file!

I think you're right that this is a Kona problem. I'm sure they'll be able to offer a solution.

Thanks again,
Alex

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Jul 8, 2010 at 4:32:28 pm

Hi,

Yep - that's the issue. It seems the Kona card does not support 2-channel "Dual Mono" packed audio format of the MP4 files. The kona3 does support Stereo audio (Left/Right) - which is packed the same way as the Dual Mono audio.

I can email my contacts at AJA regarding this to see if they could add support in a later driver build, and if you could as well then that could help too.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Jul 8, 2010 at 5:31:59 pm

Hi Alex,

My AJA contacts suggested contacting AJA tech support to see if the Kona3 audio is setup properly.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Jul 9, 2010 at 9:28:02 am

Hi Greg,

Thanks for all your help on this, you've been excellent. I'll give AJA a call when they open (I'm in the UK here so were some hours ahead).

All the best,
Alex

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 8, 2010 at 5:08:00 pm

[Greg Booth] "Basically, there are some function in FCP that won't work properly unless the TypeCode of the file is set to 'MooV' (i.e. like the SmoothCam Filter or the Media Menagament Recompress to ProRes0. "

Man, that little detail is pesky and silly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]