FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Correction for Photographers (Photoshop Style)?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simen Myrberget
Color Correction for Photographers (Photoshop Style)?
on Jul 7, 2010 at 9:57:37 am

Are there any plug ins or tools available for color correcting more from a "photographers kind of perspective?" I would like to change the white balance for example. In Photoshop Raw plug in there is an excellent slider that changes Color Temperature in realtime as you see it on screen (draging to the right makes it more yellow and to the left more blu (changes Kelvin).

Just opening the Color application makes me sweat...... :-)

I still have much to learn ..... :-)

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Jerry Hofmann
Re: Color Correction for Photographers (Photoshop Style)?
on Jul 7, 2010 at 11:56:54 am

I don't think there's a lot of difference between correcting video and correcting stills. The basics are the same in general. You can change the white balance with a click on what should be white in the Color Corrector 3 Way filter for example. But the power of Color is way beyond what FCP can do easily. However to get started, you might pick up this: http://store.creativecow.net/p/80/richard_harringtons_final_cut_pro_color_c...

If you are really into doing this, learn Color. It's far more intimidating looking than it really is... Get a book on the subject (Apple's Pro Training book is pretty good). Or take a look at the COW DVD that Walter put together on Color. Trust me, once you get it, you'll NEVER use FCP's tools unless you just have no time whatsoever or something. I teach a 2 day intensive class in Color (the Certified Apple course) and my students LOVE color once they understand how to use it. You might look in your area for a Pro Training facility (Apple lists them here: http://training.apple.com/locations

Gotta say, it's a ton faster to take a class and a far better experience than self teaching...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2010 at 2:03:12 pm

Also, RAW is a different animal. Are you correcting RAW video footage?

Return to posts index

Simen Myrberget
on Jul 7, 2010 at 6:27:19 pm

No I am not working in RAW, but rather DSLR (Canon 5d MKII) = H:2.64!
Thanks for the replies. I bought the book (Apple on Color).....

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Michael Gissing
on Jul 8, 2010 at 12:29:54 am

Some of the older FCP plugins have sliders to control RGB levels, but frankly I haven't explored them as I used firstly the 3 way CC and now Color. Play with the 3 Way to get familiar with the concepts that drive Color - Color Wheels, saturation, white level black level & gamma etc.

Lyric make some nice plugins including curves which behave much like curves in photoshop. Nattress also has some gamma curves, but there is no way to adjust the separate RGB curves, just manipulate the degree numerically.

But do learn Color. Grading movies is still the same concept as stills but Color will give you the ability to easily keyframe changes. Some of the more outrageous things you can do with a still can't be done with a movie as yo will notice pumping or beating between frames. This is particulalrly true of using HSL (Hue, Saturation, Luma) keying.

Return to posts index

Simen Myrberget
on Jul 9, 2010 at 7:42:45 am

Thanks! Another thing if you install plugins and it messes up Final Cut Pro (makes it unstable) is it easy to uninstall or are plugins consisting of several files?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Jerry Hofmann
on Jul 9, 2010 at 3:57:06 pm

It's usually just a single file you need to get rid of with most plugin filters and transitions.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]