FORUMS: list search recent posts

mxf files from Sony Vegas

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rafael August
mxf files from Sony Vegas
on Jul 6, 2010 at 9:31:49 pm

Hello,

I am trying to transfer a project from Vegas to FCP. I'm using Automatic Duck to bring in the AAF project files from Sony Vegas into FCP, which seems to be working.

There are a series interviews where the original shot footage doesn't exist anymore. These interviews are being delivered to me in MXF format compressed out from the Sony Vegas computer. When I bring them into FCP I get a not optimized for FCP warning.

What is the best way to treat this footage? There is a lot of footage in the MXF format that I have to deal with. Should I re-compress everything? If so will I be losing resolution?

Any help will help,

Rafael

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: mxf files from Sony Vegas
on Jul 6, 2010 at 10:14:32 pm

MXF is a container and has a few different implementations, along with a variety of codecs. Any idea on what codec they are?

Return to posts index

rafael August
on Jul 6, 2010 at 10:36:03 pm

Jeremy,

There are a number of different codecs used, dv/dvc pro ntsc, dv pal, xd cam422 1080i60 to just name a few.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 6, 2010 at 10:38:26 pm

Then I would check out http://www.mxf4mac.com and check out the MXF Import option.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

rafael August
on Jul 6, 2010 at 11:03:39 pm

I have calibrated Q which lets me import mxf files from the xd cam and the p2 cards. But without the original file structure fcp won't read the files for multi stream playback. Does this program do anything different than calibrated?

I'll check it out thanks.

Rafael

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Jul 6, 2010 at 11:33:43 pm

Hi Rafael,

Our software - Calibrated{Q] MXF Import for OSX and the MXF Import from MXF4MAC do basically the same thing and they can't co-exist on the same computer as they would conflict with each other.

The non-optimized warning by FCP - is just that - a warning only and should not interfere with importing the mxf files. FCP though may have a harder time playing the files back on slower hardware or keeping up with multiple streams, etc.

Per FCP not reading the files for multi-stream playback - are you refering to our component not being able to import the MXF files into your FCP bin - or FCP not being able to import the MXF files via Log and Transfer?

If you want you can always email me at info@calibratedsoftware.com for further help.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

rafael August
on Jul 6, 2010 at 11:44:21 pm

Greg,

Calibrated is working fine. I can import and play everything. I'm just unsure if I'm getting myself into a bad situation by using the non optimized clips which only happens from the files that are sent from sony vegas. Right now I'm working on a mac book pro 2.53ghz 4gm ram. I need to get on a faster machine.

This project is huge and is starting to take forever to open up when I launch the project. I'm starting to break the project into smaller sequences so it doesn't have to read everything before opening.

Thanks for your help,

Rafael

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Jul 6, 2010 at 11:50:55 pm

Hi,

Did you enable 'Auto-Referencing' in our component? It's for opening up XDCAM MXF files faster. You can read about it here in the User Guide on page 16

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/downloads/CalibratedQ-MXF-UserGuide.pdf

You can email me at info@calibratedsoftware.com if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]