FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't output cropped MPEG-2 file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Ung
Can't output cropped MPEG-2 file
on Jul 6, 2010 at 7:07:18 am

Hello Everyone,

I have to turn in a project soon and I'm having some issues with compressor. I edited the project in appleprores422 1920x1080p and I need to output using the MPEG-2 Program stream codec in compressor (I'm not sure why, but the festival coordinators asked for this format). I need to crop my image to 2.35:1 and I've done this countless times using other codecs but for some reason, the MPEG2 codec doesn't work the same way.

In compressor's geometry, I set the source inset to crop to 2.35:1 and the output padding to preserve source aspect ratio. For some reason, I can't change dimensions to 100% of source like I do with quicktime files. Because of this,compressor is outputting a 2:35 image in a 16:9 1920x1080 frame. it is supped to output 1980x818, but it wont in this case. what to do!

thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Can't output cropped MPEG-2 file
on Jul 6, 2010 at 1:05:22 pm

Seems to me that you don't want to preserve the source's aspect ratio... What happens if you don't select that option?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 6, 2010 at 1:13:01 pm

If you're making an MPEG2 file, you're probably making a DVD, not Blu-Ray. You should know that MPEG2 works in set resolutions, because an authored DVD must be 720x480 by technical standard; it can't be anything else.

You'd have to make it look like 2.35:1 by adding a black border along the top & bottom of the 1920x1080 video, creating letterboxing, and making an MPEG2 file intended for a 16x9 DVD as you did previously.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jul 6, 2010 at 2:30:43 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "If you're making an MPEG2 file, you're probably making a DVD, not Blu-Ray. "

Not necessarily. The Blu-Ray spec supports both MPEG2 and h.264. In fact, the majority of commercial Bu-Ray releases are still MPEG2.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 6, 2010 at 3:03:15 pm

[Alan Okey] "The Blu-Ray spec supports both MPEG2 and h.264."

Good point. Does the Blu-Ray specification then support a H&V resolution like 1920x1018?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jul 6, 2010 at 11:26:36 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Good point. Does the Blu-Ray specification then support a H&V resolution like 1920x1018? "

I seriously doubt it. I don't know for certain, but I would assume that 1920x1080 is required.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 6, 2010 at 10:27:56 pm

[Kevin Ung] "Because of this,compressor is outputting a 2:35 image in a 16:9 1920x1080 frame. it is supped to output 1980x818, but it wont in this case. what to do! "

Sounds like it's doing exactly what you tell it. Are you really supposed to deliver a 1980x818 MPEG2 file?

If so, you need to type those dimensions in to the geometry tab (or choose the Panavision preset) and set the crop to 2.35:1. Leave padding alone.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Return to posts index

Kevin Ung
on Jul 7, 2010 at 7:11:27 am

I guess since this is a dvd format, it doesn't allow me to set to 2.35:1. I've already tried not touching the padding, but I get a 2.35 image rendered to a 1920x1080 frame. I'm not sure why, and compressor wont allow you to change dimensions (I'm guessing again because it is a dvd format?) Compressor's preview makes the output look perfectly fine, yet when it does come out we get a vertical skew.

here are pics of the settings and the skew:

settings:

screen:

Thanks for the quick responses!
Kev

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jul 7, 2010 at 1:02:36 pm

They don't want a Blu-Ray disk right? The delivery is a QT movie, right? What would be the problem with letterboxing? On a projection from file, it will look just like you want it to most likely. No light on the black bars top and bottom will make them "disappear" played back from a properly calibrated projector.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2010 at 1:21:10 pm

Ok. I imagine that you will be delivering a 1920x1080 file, just like Jerry mentioned. In that case, you have to add back the padding. Set it to Panavision. This will add the letterbox.

Also, on the top right corner of the Compressor window there's two little buttons. Click the one on the right and that will show you the output. You sometimes have to refresh it by moving the slider, but after you add the padding, you will see the cropped 2.35:1 letterbox in a 1920x1080 frame.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]