FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick question about import settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Severino
Quick question about import settings
on Jul 5, 2010 at 10:02:13 pm

I shot an event with 2 different mini DV cameras (a panasonic and a canon) I imported the footage to FCP 7 via FireWire using the DV/DVCPRO codec. I know I need to go into color to color correct the footage. Would I see any benefit in my renders in color if I reimport the footage using either a ProRes codec or an uncompressed codec (8-bit or 10-bit) via the FireWire port or importing analog from my Blackmagic Intensity Pro card using a similar codec? or should I just do what I can with the codec I already imported the footage at, and hope that I don't get too much noise with the render in Color

Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual Quad Core
14GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800 GT
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
OS X 10.6.3 (Clean Instal)
Final Cut Studio 3 (Clean Instal)
Logic Studio (Clean Instal)

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Quick question about import settings
on Jul 5, 2010 at 11:22:17 pm

Switch Sequence Settings to ProRes if you are not going back to DV Tape, leave it at DV if you plan to record back to tape. I like ProRes LT for this.

Kevin Monahan
60 Blu-ray Templates for Final Cut Studio 2009
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Joe Severino
on Jul 5, 2010 at 11:32:05 pm

I wont add any artifacting from the render by changing my sequence render setting as opposed to a fresh import or sending the files through compressor to change them?

Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual Quad Core
14GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800 GT
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
OS X 10.6.3 (Clean Instal)
Final Cut Studio 3 (Clean Instal)
Logic Studio (Clean Instal)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 6, 2010 at 1:15:33 am

You could do a test comparing DV into Color and let it render to ProRes versus Compressor conversion before grade, but my gut feeling is that Color does a great job of rendering the DV footage out as either ProRes or uncompressed. It is quicker to do it in Color if you are happy with the quality.

In SD I don't bother with ProRes as uncompressed SD is easy to manage. The only catch is that Color leaves the field order as lower in the uncompressed or ProRes file which is a nuisance in PAL, but easily corrected with a flip field filter on all shots.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]