FORUMS: list search recent posts

redigitize p2 media with better codec, will fcp relink automatically?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Nitkiewicz Hernandez
redigitize p2 media with better codec, will fcp relink automatically?
on Jul 3, 2010 at 3:34:39 am

I edited a feature film shot on the hvx200 with p2 cards at 1920x1080 23.98 pa

Upon log and transferring, it transcoded all the p2 media (about 20 hours) into dvcprohd 1920x1080 23.98, which are thousands of clips with unique names now.

Thats fine, I have a nice rough cut edited, effects done in shake, but Im realizing that I should have waited to have more space and digitize as pro res 444 hq instead of dvcprohd, since theres a quality difference right.

What I want to do now, since I have more space available, and want to get the best quality, is re digitize all the p2 original media as pro res 444 hq.

My question is, will fcp name these all the same, and I can relink everything to the new media, and all cuts, effects done in shake, etc, will link perfectly? I realize if I delete all the dvcpro footage, fcp will ask to relink media, so I will point to the new folder with all new pro res hq clips, but will the names still be the same so the cut is in tact?

I dont want fcp to rename everything with a new name because I would have to search for each clip manually, fcp should rename each clip the same even though its being re-digitized as a new codec.

Also where can I set the codec to be used for the conversion, and is there a way to flip it upon digitizing?

Im using the latest version of fcp on leopard, thanks.

Clint Nitkiewicz Hernandez
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1427924/
Director

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: redigitize p2 media with better codec, will fcp relink automatically?
on Jul 3, 2010 at 6:56:53 am

Why do you want to do this. There is zero reason to transcode this into PR444,

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 3, 2010 at 2:30:52 pm

Not only is there zero reason, you can't do this automatically. Also, it's not going to gain any quality to your footage. If doing a final gradenin Color, you can render out to ProRes (not HQ or 444) which will be fine, but nothing gained if you could recapture your footage easily. Stick with what you have.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 4, 2010 at 2:04:24 am

I think he thinks P2 is a codec. It's a card. A card for DVCPro/DVCProHD formats. Used with Panasonic systems. You're not transcoding to DVCProHD. Your footage IS DVCProHD. Use that. Use it in a ProRes sequence if you're going to add graphics and other effects so they won't be constrained by the lack of horizontal resolution. Text for example, in DVCProHD, can look fairly stairstepped because of DVCProHD's extreme anamorphic-ness.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 4, 2010 at 8:18:23 pm

Clint Nitkiewicz Hernandez: "I edited a feature film shot on the hvx200 with p2 cards at 1920x1080 23.98 pa"

Why edit at 1920x1080, when you can edit in the normal edit timeline settings for DVCPro HD? Isn't the additional rendering getting a little bit old?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]