FORUMS: list search recent posts

poor slow motion quality with prores 422 HQ

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Lehner
poor slow motion quality with prores 422 HQ
on Jul 2, 2010 at 4:18:35 pm

I have been experimenting with the different Apple prores codecs. I just logged and captured 1080i HD footage to the 422HQ codec. . . it looks pretty good at normal speed but there are some clips that are 20% of the normal speed. Wow, that footage was to jumpy and seemed to get worse after rendering. Is there any way to fix this or convert to a higher quality codec without having to reload all my footage and start over in a different codec?

thanks,
nate

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: poor slow motion quality with prores 422 HQ
on Jul 2, 2010 at 4:29:31 pm

Recapture the errant clips just as you did the first time. They sound like there's a corruption in it. Can't get much better Codec than what you're using now BTW...
Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Nathan Lehner
on Jul 2, 2010 at 5:00:57 pm

Just to clarify. I changed the speed to slow motion (20% of the normal speed) in FCP and all of my slow motion clips are the ones that are very jumpy. . . like a half the normal frames are there. I'm shooting at 30fps so I'm not expecting super smooth slowmo but this is a lot worse than when I keep it in HDV. Would a 4444prores be better?

thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jul 2, 2010 at 7:11:41 pm

Send it to Motion and do Optical Flow Speed FX instead of FCP. 20% is not going to look great no matter what you do, though. Good luck.

Kevin Monahan
60 Blu-ray Templates for Final Cut Studio 2009
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Zane Barker
on Jul 2, 2010 at 7:24:23 pm

What type of media drive a you using? And what data speeds are you getting on it?

ProRes HQ has a vary high data rate.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Nathan Lehner
on Jul 2, 2010 at 9:46:31 pm

I'm kinda ignorant with my tech glossary. . . I'm on a 4 month old quad core imac, 2.8ghz processor, processor speed 4.8GT/s (is that data rate?), ATI Radeon HD 4850 video card.

Here is a link to my issue if you have the time:

its obvious anytime I slow the speed. . . most notably at :45 and 1:14

thanks,
nate

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
Re: how to export 16 bit color
on Jul 2, 2010 at 10:10:45 pm

That is frame blending, the best FCP can do.

Do the slowdown in Motion instead, it can synthesize the missing frames (a 5x slowdown is certainly challenging, but it will look better than in FCP).

And use regular Prores instead of HQ. You won't notice any quality difference here, but you won't have to wait as long for the render.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jul 2, 2010 at 10:30:09 pm

"I'm on a 4 month old quad core imac"

On an iMac the fastest connection for hard drives is FireWire 800, and that is not fast enough for pro res HQ. Io recommend working in regular pro res.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Nathan Lehner
on Jul 2, 2010 at 11:44:09 pm

Thanks all for the responses,

Wow, Firewire 800 is not fast enough for 422 HQ?! I thought I was seriously down-converting my HD footage. It certainly looks better when I log and transfer in native HDV but takes up so much space.

I'll have to start working in motion and see what that does.

Nate

Return to posts index

Michael Craven
on Jul 3, 2010 at 2:00:08 am

[Nathan Lehner] "It certainly looks better when I log and transfer in native HDV but takes up so much space."

ProRes HQ would take up a lot more space than HDV would.

But I definitely concur with everyone else about doing the slowmo in Motion. Optical flow will make your slowmos look great!

Return to posts index

Nathan Lehner
on Jul 6, 2010 at 3:07:12 am

Thanks everyone. I guess I need get going in motion to make this more effective. I'm just surprised that HDV looks better than prores 422!? I think I need to get more informed on when to use the prores codecs and when not to.

Nate

Return to posts index

Michael Craven
on Jul 6, 2010 at 6:39:25 pm

[Nathan Lehner] "I'm just surprised that HDV looks better than prores 422!?"

It doesn't. ProRes is far superior to HDV. After your footage has been compressed to HDV, converting to ProRes 422 won't make it look any better, but it certainly won't make it any worse (well, you'd be hard pressed to actually see a difference).

Return to posts index

Nathan Lehner
on Jul 16, 2010 at 5:02:57 am

OK, my sequence settings did not match my footage. Thanks also for the Motion optical flow tip. Now we're looking much better. . . the revised version:

Ahhh, thats more like it! Thanks all for your help. . . you're all awesome!

Nate

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]