FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deinterlace Questions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim branstetter
Deinterlace Questions
on Jul 1, 2010 at 9:10:39 pm

Hi,

I have some public Domain footage that I need to integrate with a music video for web streaming , and there are some questions/problems with the found footage.

First my specs for the project are;
864x486
square pixel
24 fps
progressive

Now for the pubic domain footage (typical example can be found at; http://www.archive.org/details/hindenberg_explodes);
typical specs for found footage;
mpeg2 or mpeg4
640x480
square
no fields

About my problems with footage. The footage is not de-interlaced even though it has no fields. So the format properties show no fields. It was also shot on film most likely @24fps. but now its 29.97(dv).

So my question is what is the best way to get rid of the interlacing and/or convert footage to "real" progressive? The project was edited in FCP and will be finished off in After Effects.

The project has already been edited and the found footage can be rendered separate from my footage for composing in AE.

I have the Nattress G-filters for FCP and Magic Bullet for AE, I also have access to a friends machine with Magic Bullet Editors for FCP.

And the other question , what is the best way to convert this footage to 24fps?

Thanks In Advance,

Jim Branstetter
RubberBulletStudio.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Deinterlace Questions
on Jul 2, 2010 at 1:25:12 am

[jim branstetter] "The footage is not de-interlaced even though it has no fields. " it has to be de-interlaced if it has no fields, that is by definition de-interlacing. It may have a pulldown added to get it to 29.97 but that doesn't mean interlaced. You can try applying a reverse telecine in compressor to see if it can get you a clean 24p.

[jim branstetter] "First my specs for the project are;
864x486
square pixel
24 fps
progressive "

Why are you editing with those settings, you will have to render everything every step of the way. You need to be using a video resolution in FCP, 720x486(or 480) anamorphic.

For the PD footage you would want to change that to 720x480 (not anamorphic) and it will look correct but with black bars on left and right in FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]