FORUMS: list search recent posts

Markers or Sub Clips?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Watkins
Markers or Sub Clips?
on Jul 1, 2010 at 5:34:33 pm

The way FCP deals with subclips derails my usual workflow. I am used to adding subclips to a sequence and being able to trim beyond the subclip's parameters. FCP doesn't allow that. So, I was told to look into markers. Markers are cool! BUT, if you load a clip from double clicking a marker, and add that clip to your sequence, you cannot trim beyond the point of the marker. Damn.
How do you guys deal with chopping up and editing long interview segments in FCP? And, on top of that, being able to trim beyond the chops? Thank you for any help, Jason

Return to posts index

Ari Feldman
Re: Markers or Sub Clips?
on Jul 1, 2010 at 6:57:57 pm

Hey Jason,

When making subclips I always try to give myself a few seconds of handle for transitions and whatnot.

But if you want to be able to "trim beyond the chops" go to the Modify Menu and select

Remove Subclip Limits. Just be aware that the subclip icon in the browser will change to a regular clip

icon, so it gets easier to lose track of what's a subclip and what isn't.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your 4th of July weekend.

Ari Feldman
Editor/Assistant Editor
Apple Certified Trainer

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 1, 2010 at 6:59:11 pm

I use markers and don't double click the marker. I simply use Shift up and down to arrow through markers on the main master clip or use the drop down to choose which marker I want.

Unfortunately, FCP falls short on this style of editing.

You can also remove subclip limits, but that will give the big long clip.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 1, 2010 at 7:50:21 pm

Usually, if I need to go beyond the range of the subclip, I just match frame back to the full clip.

Return to posts index

Jason Watkins
on Jul 1, 2010 at 9:43:55 pm

ahhh, I like the shift + arrow solution. I have tried the "remove subclip parameters" option before and it ends up getting way too messy. Thanks for the help! Jason

Return to posts index

joe kaye
on Jun 13, 2011 at 9:15:11 am

i'm always going back and forth with the way i work around these things - at the moment i am making timelines of the interviews and editing and lifting the segments i want onto another video layer - using markers also to name the clips - this way also makes it easier to sync additional cameras before giving them an aux TC that matches cam A

also helps to set that timeline to the same TC to make searching easier...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]