FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using a Matte in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Brayton
Using a Matte in FCP
on Jul 1, 2010 at 4:55:32 pm

Ok, I'm embarrassed to ask this question, but it's been driving me crazy. I have footage of an animated truck and a b&w hold out matte for the truck. I'm trying to key out the truck so it drives over a graphic element.

I can easily do this in AVID, but am having trouble making it work in FCP. I know this is a super-simple thing, but I've wasted too much time trying to figure it out at this point. Does anybody know how this is done in FCP? I tried all the "composite mode" settings and also tried having the matte layer above my composite layer as well as below it.

Help!

Return to posts index

Greg Brayton
Re: Using a Matte in FCP
on Jul 1, 2010 at 6:58:06 pm

Awesome! So simple! Haha! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 1, 2010 at 7:21:43 pm

What's even more embarassing is that Greg (college roommate) called me and I didn't know the answer. Now I do.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 1, 2010 at 7:23:41 pm

Travel Mattes are the bees knees.

Return to posts index

Greg Brayton
on Jul 1, 2010 at 10:36:14 pm

Ok. So that works for playing footage inside a matte. I now realize I actually have a different problem. I want my truck to drive across a still frame of a logo. My 3D guy provided me the truck element and a separate matte layer (hold out) that syncs up with the movement of the truck.

In avid, I just put the two layers on the timeline and use an inverted key on the matte layer and it keys out the truck and I can see the lower layers around the truck. But that isn't working in FCP.

Does that make sense? I'm not sure how else to describe this.

Return to posts index

cow
Joe Paolo
on Jul 2, 2010 at 2:51:12 pm

You can put an invert filter on the matte

joe
editmojo.com

Return to posts index

Greg Brayton
on Jul 2, 2010 at 5:17:28 pm

Tried that. That was the 1st thing I did. Doesn't work.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 2, 2010 at 5:34:19 pm

[Greg Brayton] "Ok. So that works for playing footage inside a matte. I now realize I actually have a different problem. I want my truck to drive across a still frame of a logo"

So instead of putting the truck over footage, you put the truck over the logo (does the truck need to be solid or are you seeing the logo through the truck?) and then keyframe the truck across the logo.

Sorry, trying to follow you here, but we'll get it.

Return to posts index

Greg Brayton
on Jul 2, 2010 at 5:45:13 pm

The truck starts in the middle of the frame and then pulls away to reveal the logo behind it. It's a super-simple move, but my truck element doesn't have a built in alpha channel. Instead I have a "matte" layer that syncs to the truck and it's move. Does that make more sense?

On the AVID I would just apply a key to the matte layer and invert it. This doesn't work in FCP for some reason.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 2, 2010 at 6:38:17 pm

Apply a tint filter to the hold out layer and change balck to white and white to balck. That should invert it.

Return to posts index

Greg Brayton
on Jul 2, 2010 at 6:48:00 pm

Inverting the matte layer isn't the problem. I can easily do that with the "invert" effect. Unfortunately, it has no affect on the composite. It's really strange.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 2, 2010 at 8:11:28 pm

So essentially, you need the truck to reveal the logo?

Return to posts index

Greg Brayton
on Jul 3, 2010 at 2:26:58 am

Yeah. That wasn't clear? Haha! Sorry.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 3, 2010 at 3:09:10 am

No worries. I get it now. So you have a couple of things going on. You are cutting the matte for the truck, then you have to use the composite for that to reveal a layer underneath that. (Basically buidling the alpha, then using that composite for a new matte). Again, enter the Travel Matte. Since you have the truck setup like you want with the hold out matte, select those two clips and nest those items (use the sequence menu and choose nest items). Then use a travel matte > alpha composite mode with that nest and the logo. Hope that makes sense and works. I'm going from memory.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Larry Asbell
on Jul 8, 2010 at 2:02:12 pm

The last response was six days ago but I don't see that you ever got the answer.

Does this help:

Avid:
V3 - Matte Video with "Matte Key" effect applied
V2 - Fill Video
V1 - Background Video

Final Cut:
V3 - Fill Video with composite mode "Travel Matte Luma" applied
V2 - Matte Video
V1 - Background Video

Return to posts index

Greg Brayton
on Jul 10, 2010 at 12:51:12 am

Thank you, Larry! That was the exact right solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]