FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to burn a very long timeline to DVD?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Grixti
How to burn a very long timeline to DVD?
on Jul 1, 2010 at 2:21:22 pm

Hi there,

I am working on a project that is three hours long and need a simple walkthrough on how to burn it to DVD. I have been looking for tutorials and explanations but am still finding it hard to work out what to do.

I will be using DVD Studio Pro to create the DVD. I need to know what to export the movie to for the maximum quality. Should I export it in 4 parts for optimum quality? I just need a basic walkthrough of how to get the three hour movie to a DVD in its maximum quality.

I hope someone can help me! It would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: How to burn a very long timeline to DVD?
on Jul 1, 2010 at 2:44:54 pm

[Daniel Grixti] "Should I export it in 4 parts for optimum quality?"
The length of the clips won't be a factor on the quality of the picture.

Export a Self-contained movie and if you can chop it, the best.
With all the chops, I would make a Reference movie and import to any application to make the MPEG-2.
For a 3 hours movie, I would try something better than Compressor.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Grixti
on Jul 1, 2010 at 3:46:28 pm

What do you mean by reference movie? Can you recommend a program that will convert my video to MPEG 2?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 1, 2010 at 4:26:27 pm

[Daniel Grixti] "What do you mean by reference movie?"
Is a movie that do not contains video or audio. It points to other movies. Is like a play list but works like any other QT movie. The size is very small.
You should know all this by now. basic question.

The option of making a double side DVD pointed by Daniel is very interesting. You can try it with Compressor.
rafael

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Jul 1, 2010 at 6:35:00 pm

File > Export > Quicktime Movie. Uncheck the "Make Self-Contained" checkbox.

Bring this file into compressor and use the 120 min best quality preset.
In the summary panel it will give you an estimated file size. Make sure it's small enough to fit on a dvd including your audio. If it's over reduce your bit rate in the quality controls.

Best,
Joey

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Jul 2, 2010 at 12:58:15 am

I know you mentioned DVD Studio Pro, but considering your level of proficiency with exporting video and DVD authoring, you might consider using iDVD.
There is less chance to go wrong way and 3 hrs movies on Dual Layer DVD (DVD+R DL) look pretty good,
I've done it many times.

Once you are confident with this process, you can proceed to DVD Studio Pro.

I'd kindly suggest to you to read the manual, or grab a book or a tutorial. There might be some even on the You Tube. A book covering iLife wouldn't harm you at this stage.

So, in FCP after you made your chapter markers and rendered whole sequence, export your movie to Quick Time (if you've got enough space on your hard drive you can even go with self contained movie,
3hrs in I presume DV would give you a 36 GB file).
Open iDVD and in Preferences window change the setting to DVD Dual Layer then go File > Import > Video and navigate to your exported file (36 GB one if you exported as self contained).
The menu will show with title of your file.
Adjust any setting you need (font, menu duration, menu song etc.) then press Burn button.

Mio

Return to posts index

Daniel Grixti
on Jul 2, 2010 at 12:30:36 pm

Hi there,

I have another question. It seems that when I export (file > export > quicktime movie...), the quality isn't very good. I have tried self contained and reference (at 1024x576 because I am at 16:9) and the resulting .mov is soft and blurry.

When I export with no compression the quality is excellent, but the file size is obviously huge (200mb for 4 sconds)! I'm sure I couldn't even fit 3 hours of that on my external hard drive.

Then I tried exporting with PRORES (HQ) and the quality is significantly better then the standard, self contained .mov file. Even though the file size is 30mb for 4 seconds.

Is it a good idea to use PRORES (HQ) for the final DVD?

I find it hard to believe that people use [file > export > quicktime movie...] for their DVDs as the quality seems so poor. Just so you know I am exporting the self contained / reference .movs with all highest settings.

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jul 2, 2010 at 1:57:37 pm

When you go to File > Export > Quicktime Movie, it exports a reference movie of your timeline based on the editing codec you chose. It should look just fine. You aren't adding any additional compression, you're basically making a file with pointers to your footage. What were your sequence settings and source footage type?

You should not use ProRes for DVD stuff, and especially not ProRes HQ.

You'll also probably want to use a dual layer DVD. If this is something you want to turn out really well, or something you're going to be doing a lot of, I would highly recommend getting the Apple Pro Training Series DVD Studio Pro book and working through it. It explains the process of getting your videos from FCP to DVD SP and every aspect of building a great DVD, plus advanced stuff like adding break points which will be important for a dual layer disc.

Return to posts index

Daniel Grixti
on Jul 2, 2010 at 2:36:12 pm

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

The project settings are HD 1920x1080 (because that's what the original footage is) but I only want a standard definition DVD.

When I export a quicktime movie i choose custom settings and set resolution to PAL 16:9 etc. I have also just noticed the box that says "Quicktime Video Settings" and underneath is an option for compressor and quality. My quality has always been set to best but the compressor had been set to DV PAL.

When I export the quicktime REFERENCE movie with these custom settings and DV PAL compression under the Quicktime Video Settings section the quality is very poor and the filesize is 50 meg for just over 10 seconds.

Then if I do the same settings but choose no compression in the Quicktime Video Settings section the quality is great but filesize is 500mb for the same length clip!

I am having a lot of trouble here and need to deliver the footage tomorrow :S

I don't want to begin exporting my 3 hour timeline until I know the optimal settings (or this will be a day of wasted rendering).

HELP!!!

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jul 2, 2010 at 6:50:24 pm

OK, I'm going to try to give you some guidelines here. I hope that some of this works for you, it's difficult to tell exactly what's going on.

First, you shouldn't change any of the settings when you export a Quicktime reference movie. You should leave it at whatever pops up and make sure "Make self-contained" is NOT checked. It should be "Current Settings", Include Audio and Video, Markers None (unless you have chapter markers...). The great thing about this is that you shouldn't be spending hardly any time at all creating this file, since it's just basically a roadmap to your footage, not footage itself. (As a sidenote, make sure you don't use this as your archive or backup copy, because if you move anything around, all the connections will break!) Don't worry about this reference movie's frame size or anything, you'll bring it down to standard def in Compressor. The file you get out of FCP should be 1920x1080.

Second, did you mean that you're exporting as DV PAL, or when you do the Quicktime reference, is it automatically set to DV PAL? The reference movie grabs whatever editing codec you chose. You can find this under the sequence settings. For your HD footage, it shouldn't be DV PAL. It should be ProRes. In your sequence settings, if it's set to DV PAL, just change it to ProRes 422. If it's something else, probably just leave it alone. If you do change it to ProRes, the sequence will probably need to re-render.

OK, once you have your reference movie, which shouldn't be a very big file at all, and should look pretty good since it's still HD, open up Compressor and drag that reference movie in. Then find the 120 min best quality preset and drag it on your footage. Make sure it's going to the correct frame size for your PAL stuff (you can change settings within Compressor very easily, after you drag the preset on your footage, click on it and the Inspector will change. Then you can go into the frame controls and stuff and make it the correct size. I can't remember if there are different categories of presets for NTSC or PAL, or if you just need to change it to PAL within the settings, but you can do it all here. This is the step that will take a while.

The files you get out of Compressor will be a standard definition m2v file, and a ac3 file for audio. You will use these in DVD Studio Pro to author your DVD.

I hope this helps a bit!

Return to posts index

Daniel Grixti
on Jul 2, 2010 at 7:53:16 pm

That is so helpful! Thank you!

I seem to be having a problem though. I can't seem to create a reference movie? When I export using your instructions with the 'make self contained' box UNCHECKED, I think my FCP is creating a self contained file!

I have exported an identical clip with the box checked and un-checked and the resulting .movs are the same size? It seems that when I try to create a reference file it is not letting me?

If I was to just export the whole project as a PreRes442 DV file, then convert that to MPEG2 or m2v, then use that in DVDSP, would this be pretty much the same as your method?

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jul 2, 2010 at 9:39:28 pm

Is your sequence fully rendered? I mean, FULLY rendered. Go to Sequence > Render ALL and Sequence > Render selection menus and make sure that all the options are checked, including 'full'. Then render one more time and try the reference movie again. Also, you said your editing codec was DV, but go check that. If it's something that uses temporal compression like mpeg, a reference movie won't work because of the way those files operate.

Basically, do what I suggest above with rendering the whole thing completely and fully, check your codec, and then try the reference movie again.

(The reason for this is that you probably have RT effects in your timeline that you can view perfectly fine even though they are technically unrendered. Once the movie leaves FCP, it doesn't that that nice luxury of RT playback, so the effects must be baked into the export, whether it's a reference or not. So FCP sees you want a reference, but still puts together these effects for you, and the file sizes end up the same.)

EDIT: Also, what you suggest is the same idea but adds another generation of compression, which is something you definitely want to avoid.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jul 1, 2010 at 4:09:33 pm

You might want to consider burning to a dual-layer DVD.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 1, 2010 at 4:33:12 pm

Sorry, I meant your double side DVD was your idea.
Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]