FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow for two editors

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Ratnarajah
Workflow for two editors
on Jul 1, 2010 at 12:07:28 pm

Hey guys.

I'm sorry if this is on the wrong section, but couldn't see where else to put it.

My partner and I film using a Canon 7D and edit on final cut pro. We are trying to figure out a way of collaborating, when editing, from two locations. Say for example I am editing one day and then my partner wants to pick up where I left off on the next day, from his place. At first I thought Final Cut Server would serve this purpose but then found it's not exactly what we're looking for.

The other method I was thinking was to use an external hard drive to edit from and just exchange the drive, so all render files and media are present and correct. However this seems a bit messy.

Can you guys offer up suggestions on what workflows you have seen work, or think would work?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

James

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Workflow for two editors
on Jul 1, 2010 at 1:23:22 pm

Hi James,
Two HDs with the same name and the same file structure.
You only need to interchange the Project files.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

James Ratnarajah
on Jul 1, 2010 at 1:29:36 pm

Hi Rafael.

Thanks for your response. So if I understand you correctly we would ingest and transcode footage on a HD and setup a Final Cut Project. Clone that HD, so we'd have one each.

If I do an edit I would send my partner my project file and he would just overwrite the one he has an open the project file?

Is this correct? If so that's cool.

James

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 1, 2010 at 2:39:12 pm

Right.
If the media has the the same path in both HDs you will never need to Reconnect Media.
FC will only miss the renders files if the project haven't been rendered in both systems.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

James Ratnarajah
on Jul 2, 2010 at 2:32:53 pm

Got it! Will give it a few tests and see. Thanks for your help.

James

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 1, 2010 at 1:26:14 pm

FCP isn't really set up to allow two editors to work on the same project file concurrently. The danger of overwriting the other editor's work is always present, and from personal experience, it most certainly happens.

You'd be better off dividing the project into clear-cut segments, each with its own project file, with one editor taking responsibility for a given segment. This way, you avoid the problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]