FORUMS: list search recent posts

7d transcode to prores results in dark pictures

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter pop
7d transcode to prores results in dark pictures
on Jun 30, 2010 at 10:32:56 pm

Hi,

After trans-coding a number of 7d mov file to prores, I am getting MUCH darker pictures in FCP(6).

It has been suggested to me that this was addressed in FCP 7, however it is not really practical for me to upgrade.

I've also read that the issue is only 'seen' in FCP and will not be present in any final render I lay off as a master.

Its also been suggested to go ahead and edit, then swap back in the original h264 files from the canon before laying out a master for grading.

Before I embark upon trusting this 'googled' advice, I would like to get some advice from folks in here. Does this gamma loss disappear? should I go the 'file swap' method?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: 7d transcode to prores results in dark pictures
on Jun 30, 2010 at 11:58:20 pm

It has less to do with FCP than it does with which OS and QT versions you are running.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Technology Development
Quality Assurance Assistance

Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 30, 2010 at 11:58:19 pm

It has less to do with FCP than it does with which OS and QT versions you are running.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Technology Development
Quality Assurance Assistance

Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Jul 1, 2010 at 10:23:42 am

[peter pop] "Its also been suggested to go ahead and edit, then swap back in the original h264 files from the canon before laying out a master for grading."

This is terrible advice. Stick with the ProRes files once you've got the gamma shift sorted.

What software are you using to convert the files? You may find that under an Advanced tab there is a gamma correction option - if this is set to Automatic it might be the cause of your problem - try experimenting with the different options. It's difficult to tell you exactly what settings will work for the reasons Gary mentions above.

All the best,
Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed
Check out my latest addition to the Creative Cow Reels Section

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Jul 1, 2010 at 3:46:22 pm

I hope that someone who has worked through this gamma issue (if that's what it is) with 7D or 5D footage would chime in and say how they managed it. There are a couple of suggestions in this string that are interesting guesses but it would be most helpful to hear from anyone who has discovered/developed settings that reliably deliver good results when importing Canon data. I have exactly the same problem as the original poster and, frankly, I've decided to deal with Canon footage as little as possible because of it. Instead, we are using the Panasonic Lumix GH1 HDSLR and having no such issues when importing that material to Final Cut via Log & Transfer, using the Canon plugin.

But I know that many people are getting great results with Canon footage. If you are one of them, what are you doing to the footage that delivers an excellent image and avoids this "dark footage" issue? (And no, this is not a shooting/lighting problem, I assure you.)

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
on Feb 17, 2011 at 10:43:25 am

hmmm doesn't ProRes generate a darker image no matter what system or software?

Or is there way to prevent ProRes to make the footage darker?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]