FORUMS: list search recent posts

No Audio Playback in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noah Weisel
No Audio Playback in FCP
on Jun 30, 2010 at 7:05:55 pm

I have a large amount of material in two Quicktime files that I need to be able to edit in FCP. When I import them into a project, the video plays but the audio does not.

The audio is fine when I play the clips in Quicktime. The clip settings in FCP show that there is indeed an audio track. The only possible problem I can see is that the audio track is "24bit integer" instead of the usual 16bit. However, the sequence handles audio in 32bit floating, so the 24bit stuff shouldn't be a problem.

The footage was captured in a newer version of Final Cut as DV/DVCPro NTSC from a DVCPro tape. I, however, am using the older FCP 4.1. Audio from other sources plays fine, it's just these clips that are the problem.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Is there a way I can separate the audio from the video to convert it into another filetype? I'd really like to avoid having to pay to re-capture this stuff.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: No Audio Playback in FCP
on Jun 30, 2010 at 7:15:20 pm

What operating system and version of QT are you on?

THere was a difference between the way QT6 and QT7 handled audio. You might be running in to that now.

Return to posts index

Noah Weisel
on Jun 30, 2010 at 7:17:48 pm

OSX 10.4, Quicktime version 7. But the audio works in Quicktime...it doesn't work in FCP.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 30, 2010 at 7:18:46 pm

Then it has to do with the way FCP4 interacts with QT7.

If you updated to FCP5 or above, your problem would go away.

Return to posts index

Noah Weisel
on Jun 30, 2010 at 7:58:15 pm

Not sure I understand how the Quicktime version would matter. The footage was not captured on this computer at all. It was a straight FCP capture that generated an .mov file for each clip. If an .mov file generated by a later version of FCP won't play on FCP 4, well that's one thing, but it seems a little ridiculous.

I'm unable to upgrade to FCP 5 because I'm running a PPC-chipped Mac G4. 4.1 is the best I can do. But shouldn't a DV/DVCPro codec'd .mov video/audio file play in any version of FCP, regardless? It's not like it was captured using some weird Avid codec or anything.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 30, 2010 at 8:42:33 pm

[Noah Weisel] "But shouldn't a DV/DVCPro codec'd .mov video/audio file play in any version of FCP, regardless?"

Not necessarily. Earlier versions of FCP and Quicktime did not support multiple audio tracks (meaning more than two). This necessitated a major change in the way Quicktime and FCP handled audio. Even if your file does not have more than 2 channels of audio, its affected.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 30, 2010 at 8:52:10 pm

[John Pale] "Even if your file does not have more than 2 channels of audio, its affected."

Exactly.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 30, 2010 at 8:51:45 pm

[Noah Weisel] "I'm unable to upgrade to FCP 5 because I'm running a PPC-chipped Mac G4. 4.1 is the best I can do. But shouldn't a DV/DVCPro codec'd .mov video/audio file play in any version of FCP, regardless? It's not like it was captured using some weird Avid codec or anything."

Like I said, there was a major shift in how audio was handled in QT6 vs QT7. Namely, QT7 handled more than two channels of audio. This presented a rewrite, and you needed to upgrade FCP to handle this new version of QT. If someone captured in QT7 (which it sounds like they did) and you have a version of FCP that doesn't support what they captured in QT7, then it's not going to work. I think FCP 5 was fully QT 7 blessed, but I honestly can't remember that well. Even FCP 4.5 had a few issues with QT7.

A quick cow search brought up this (from 2006):

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/881630

and these

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/874819

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/98/859356

You can search for more if you don't believe me.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Noah Weisel
on Jul 1, 2010 at 2:19:39 am

Thing is (and maybe this is where my PC logic is being flumoxed by the bizarness that is the way Final Cut handles media), the footage wasn't captured with Quicktime. It was captured from within Final Cut. Are you saying that the version of the Quicktime Player installed on the capturing computer actually effects the structural encoding of footage as it streams into the computer from a deck? Doesn't Final Cut natively work with Quicktime (that is, .mov) files regardless of whether a Quicktime Player is installed on the computer at all? Wouldn't these elements then be mutually exclusive?

Regardless, I fixed my problem by cheating. I ponied up for a Quicktime Pro registration code that let me strip the audio out of the clip and export it as an AIFF file, which then played fine in my timeline. I have to say that I think it's absolutely ridiculous that this was necessary, though.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 1, 2010 at 4:21:18 pm

[Noah Weisel] "the footage wasn't captured with Quicktime. It was captured from within Final Cut."

Quicktime is the central nervous system of FCP. Once captured, it's a Quicktime Movie, no? That's not just a result, but the means to the capture of video.

[Noah Weisel] "Are you saying that the version of the Quicktime Player installed on the capturing computer actually effects the structural encoding of footage as it streams into the computer from a deck?"

Most definitely, how could it not? The problem you are having though, is more the version of FCP. If you had a higher version of FCP that played nice and 'understood' the newer QT7, you wouldn't have this problem.

[Noah Weisel] "Doesn't Final Cut natively work with Quicktime (that is, .mov) files regardless of whether a Quicktime Player is installed on the computer at all?"

You can't not have Quicktime on a Mac. It is there. Even you delete it, it's still there. It is hardwired in to the system, every mac has it.

[Noah Weisel] "I have to say that I think it's absolutely ridiculous that this was necessary, though."

Don't take offense to this, but you are working with a very old version of FCP (5+ years) that was written for a totally different version of Quicktime (QT6 and below). It shouldn't be that much of a surprise.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Noah Weisel
on Jul 6, 2010 at 1:23:48 am

Guess I understand now, though I still think it's silly. The only offense I take is the continued offense at the hands of Apple for having royally screwed over everyone who shelled out a lot of money for a G4. Their inability to make things backwards compatible for even the most basic standards of video playback (I mean common', a DV quicktime file? Doesn't get much simpler than that) just further serves to convince me that FCP is an overrated piece of Bloatware (as I believe Scott Billups originally and correctly called it) that neither offers the professional tools of Avid nor the simplicity and sheer horsepower-per-dollar of Premiere. If the industry weren't so gosh-darned in love with the thing, I'd drop it like a hot tamale.

Hope that didn't offend anyone.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 6, 2010 at 3:07:13 pm

[Noah Weisel] "The only offense I take is the continued offense at the hands of Apple for having royally screwed over everyone who shelled out a lot of money for a G4."

I hear you, but that G4 is what, 7 years old? That's an eon in computer years.

[Noah Weisel] "Their inability to make things backwards compatible for even the most basic standards of video playback (I mean common', a DV quicktime file? Doesn't get much simpler than that)"

Actually the QT 7 update fixed multichannel playback and output. That was huge for people that do more than stereo layoffs. Huge.

Sorry if your feeling slighted. FCP4 is 3 major releases behind the current FCP suite. In that time, two new operating systems and 2 versions of QT have been released, along with totally new applications. Not to mention a new version of the PPC processor (G5) and a total new processor selection in intel. If you can find a company that will capture the footage for you that matches your system specs, then you won't have this problem.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]