FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to best to manage a lot of canon 7d media.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter pop
How to best to manage a lot of canon 7d media.
on Jun 30, 2010 at 1:54:51 pm

Hi.

I've inherited a job in which the client has shot a feature with 3 Canon 7d cameras. This media has been dumped from the cameras (unlogged) to Hard disk in 3 folders representing each camera. This has resulted in 3 collections of .MOV files with the same names. All in all there are 3000+ clips. I only have the MOV files, not the 'THM'(?) files, and they are not in the directory structure as they come from the camera.

Reading around, it would seem that one course of action would be to batch convert all these clips (28 hours +) with something like streamclip to prores and then manage them into bins in fcp.

It has been suggested to me that I can convert to a proxy to save on time/disk space, and then media manage the final edit into prores for delivery/grading. While I understand this workflow from my old tape based off/online days, I am unclear as to how this would work in a file based world.

Any help or suggestions from folks with first hand experience in this area would be greatly welcome.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: How to best to manage a lot of canon 7d media.
on Jun 30, 2010 at 1:59:39 pm

Can't you get a hold of the original cars structure? If so, then you could log and transfer with the Canon plug in.

If not, I'd use Compressor and add batches of 40 or so clips at a time an convert to ProRes.

Return to posts index

peter pop
on Jun 30, 2010 at 2:05:44 pm

Unfortunately not, it looks like the recycled the cards by just pulling the MOV clips off the cards into the folders.

Is compressor preferable/fast to mpegsteramclip for the prores convert?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 30, 2010 at 2:44:03 pm

[peter pop] "Is compressor preferable/fast to mpegsteramclip for the prores convert?"

I prefer it, yes. Compressor chokes on batches over 40 clips at a time or so, so you have to set up a batch of 40, then submit, setup another batch of 40, then submit, etc.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jul 1, 2010 at 6:15:43 am

I strongly suggest you get QTchange from my site.
(it's free).
With this, you can batch add timecode / reel info, based on the file date. (If not altered as good as FCP log and transfer)

next, i would use a renaming tool to get different names.
The biggest trouble in FCP and media linking is with identical filenames.
Having different TC will help a little there, but still you could get 'attributes mismatch'

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]