Capturing DVD in Upascaled HD - Final Cut Workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurent Falleo
Capturing DVD in Upascaled HD - Final Cut Workflow
on Jun 30, 2010 at 10:11:04 am

Hey Everyone from France,

I am coming to you guys because i need some advice:

I am currently working on a documentary for french television on cinema.
The channel has asked us to deliver them an HD program for broadcast.
For this documentary that i'll be editing on Final Cut Pro, I am going to use Lots of sequences taken from different movies that we have on DVD or Blu Ray and that we'll have the rights to use.

Now come the questions :

1) How can i make sure that my entire workflow will be HD only ?

Obviously if i extract the dvd's with MacTheRipper for instance i will obtain Quicktime movies in Pal (720*576) but not in HD.

Is there a way to convert these to HD then via Compressor, or should i just resize the clips in my HD Sequence (but it will look ugly right ?)

Or, if I capture the clips directly with an HDMI Blackmagic card via a Blu-Ray Player (that will upscale the dvds to a HD-like quality) will it work ?

Aren't there any HDCP restrictions or anything ?

And last question, what are the best (and the exact!) Final Cut Pro Settings to work in HD (for tv broadcast ) ?

Thanks a lot. Any Help would be grantly appreciated

Laurent

Paris

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Capturing DVD in Upascaled HD - Final Cut Workflow
on Jun 30, 2010 at 7:42:01 pm

Answering all your questions requires just a bit more info... but if you can't get the Blu-Ray's of the movies (which would be in HD and end up looking a ton better) the very best way to upconvert is to play the DVD through a Teranex box. http://www.teranex.com/ THere are post houses with this around, and probably can do this for you...

Next best would be the use of your card using a Blu Ray Player. I've wonderful looking HD upconversions coming from my Sony 1st gen blu ray player. Panny's latest is pretty good at this too. I'll wager though that an Oppo player is the very best at this though.

But doing all of this sourcing Blu-Ray would be better for sure.

As far as which format is "best" to edit with? That depends. ProRes HQ is a dandy way to work IMHO. Its visually lossless from the original, and your Blackmagic card can lay that out to HDCAM in the end.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]