FORUMS: list search recent posts

If we can edit on a iphone, can we run FCP on a maxed out new mini?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Walker
If we can edit on a iphone, can we run FCP on a maxed out new mini?
on Jun 29, 2010 at 7:57:09 pm

Apple is touting the virtues of it's new Mac Mini, if it was connected to a AJA Io HD and ethernet storage, and a 24" monitor could it exist has an edit station to do straight editing on? I would say yes, unless it has the same ethernet chips as the high end iMacs. Would anybody agree?
Don Walker

John 3:16

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: If we can edit on a iphone, can we run FCP on a maxed out new mini?
on Jun 29, 2010 at 8:09:46 pm

All depends on the ethernet controller in there. If it's the same one as the i5/i7 iMacs, then it's not going to work with that storage.

I really don't understand what Apple is doing quite honestly with Ethernet. They've crippled the Mac Pro and iMac lines from running ethernet based storage easily. Maybe they're mad because they didn't think of it first.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Jun 29, 2010 at 8:14:24 pm

Walter,
you found the specs on the ethernet controller of the i5/i7 iMacs, that showed that they didn't do jumbo frames. Is the information on the web somewhere, or do you "know somebody"?
Don Walker

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 29, 2010 at 8:32:54 pm

Nope, I don't "know anybody." We just looked up the specs for the actual Ethernet Controller that is listed in the units. I posted the unit's name and specs on my blog here on the Cow. It's the Broadcom 5764. So by simply searching (and it was not easy, several friends searched too) to find the actual specs of the card itself, voila, no jumbo frames.

http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/1092/i5-and-i7-imac-ethernet-controller-u...

Now I was contacted by Apple at one point to say that Jumbo Frames are not necessary to do what our SAN is doing, but their information was wrong. We proved it was wrong when we tested out that i7 iMac. I told the contacts at Apple to work with the magicians over there at Small Tree Electronics and see if they could help Apple better understand what the SAN does and how it works. I don't know what the results of those conversations have been, if there have been any conversations.

I have not looked up the specs of the Mini, but see if you can find out the name of the ethernet controller. I'll poke around tonight if I get the chance.

I will say the Core Duo 2 iMac 27" is just sweetness on the ethernet SAN. Renders After Effects no problem too.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Jun 29, 2010 at 8:39:49 pm

Walter,
It is the Broadcom BCM7765, the info sheet off of Broadcom's website, says that it does support jumbo frames. I guess I should have surfed before before I posted. Thanks for your time.
Don Walker

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 29, 2010 at 8:47:15 pm

[Don Walker] "It is the Broadcom BCM7765, the info sheet off of Broadcom's website, says that it does support jumbo frames. I guess I should have surfed before before I posted. Thanks for your time."

Well THAT is a very good sign. Maybe, just maybe, Apple is going to update their machines with Jumbo Frame support again.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 29, 2010 at 11:16:10 pm

From Apple's specs page for the Mac mini:

10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet (RJ-45) interface with support for jumbo frames

I can't verify personally whether it works with Ethernet-based storage.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Jun 29, 2010 at 11:29:44 pm

It might be a good sign that they mentioned jumbo frames in the tech specs. Maybe they have come to grips with what not having jumbo frame ethernet support does to their core users...... At any rate, Thank you Apple!
Don Walker

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Jul 1, 2010 at 2:36:02 am

[walter biscardi] "I really don't understand what Apple is doing quite honestly with Ethernet. They've crippled the Mac Pro and iMac lines from running ethernet based storage easily."

I must have missed out on this. We use ethernet storage with Mac Pros but not iMacs. Without going through the whole story again in this thread can you point me to some threads where these issues are discussed?

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 2, 2010 at 2:19:02 pm

[Joe Murray] "We use ethernet storage with Mac Pros but not iMacs. Without going through the whole story again in this thread can you point me to some threads where these issues are discussed?"

Walter's original thread on the i5/i7 iMacs not supporting jumbo frames on their Ethernet controller is here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1076136

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Jul 2, 2010 at 2:23:56 pm

Thanks for the link. I think what threw me off was the statement in this thread that "They've crippled the Mac Pro and iMac lines from running ethernet based storage easily." I guess it should have said MacBOOK Pros instead of Mac Pros since no Mac Pros are based on core i5/i7 processors.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 2, 2010 at 2:40:22 pm

[Joe Murray] "Thanks for the link. I think what threw me off was the statement in this thread that "They've crippled the Mac Pro and iMac lines from running ethernet based storage easily." I guess it should have said MacBOOK Pros instead of Mac Pros since no Mac Pros are based on core i5/i7 processors. "

Nope, it's the Mac Pros, too, but it's a different chipset and a different problem. Once the Nehalem Mac Pro (2009) hits 60 MB/s on its built-in Ethernet, it disconnects. The solution is to add an Ethernet card that doesn't use the Hartwell chip, like the Small Tree PEG1D.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/197/856590

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]