FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archiving and back-ups

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Orallo
Archiving and back-ups
on Jun 29, 2010 at 2:16:51 pm

Hello,

We do a lot of commercials, corporate and web content, I like to keep the final outputs handy on a drive (Seagate) so I have easy access to it. But as you read this I am 20 hours deep into a 40 hour disk recovery. We are completely upgrading the the suite so any input would be awesome. Right now what I do after a project is complete, is I have an uncompressed QT that remains with the FCP Project and that is archived and shelved, then I have a Uncompressed QT on the 'Output Drive' that I keep in my office, then the final output is put to Digi-Beta.I like having the Drive here with me because we are dealing with HD now and it's quicker for me to pull it off a drive other than having IT de-archive it for me, only to have to copy it from our server anyway. The drive has 2 years of outputs on in it, To have to track down all the final outputs from each project is doable but time consuming if the recovery doesn't work. I guess i'm looking for something a little more stable, maybe a solid state drive? or is there a better alternatives for backing up out there?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

George

'Be like water'

-Bruce Lee

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Archiving and back-ups
on Jun 29, 2010 at 2:20:22 pm

LTO. It's been around for years. The banks and government use it everyday.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
Re: Archiving and back-ups
on Jun 29, 2010 at 3:05:32 pm

I can second the suggestion of LTO tapes for backing up. Cheap and stable, which is great long-term.
There is of course the snag of it taking forever to back up/de-archive. I combat this by having a 1TB drive in the Mac which I use for backing up recent work which I think/know I will need access to in the near future. This is in addition to the LTO tape, so no risk of loss if the harddrive fails.

You could also look at a harddrive dock if the speed of LTO is impractical for your needs.

All the best,
Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed
Check out my latest addition to the Creative Cow Reels Section

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]