FORUMS: list search recent posts

referenced footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Tamou
referenced footage
on Jun 28, 2010 at 10:37:52 pm

I am just starting to edit in HD and things are moving very slow in the timeline. My media is on an external drive that I am working from. I always did it that way with DV footage (no problem). Is there a way to edit in the timeline while using referenced footage and then the full footage at output?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: referenced footage
on Jun 28, 2010 at 11:23:41 pm

More info is needed.

What are your system specs?
What version of FCP are you using?
What codec are you editing?
What type of media drive are you using and how is it attached to your system?

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Steve Tamou
on Jun 29, 2010 at 12:16:43 am

Model Name: Mac Pro
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB

Final cut pro 7

quicktime 10

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jun 29, 2010 at 12:19:25 am

We still need info on your media drive and what codec video you are trying to edit.

Return to posts index

Steve Tamou
on Jun 29, 2010 at 1:02:06 am

Media Drive is a Seagate 2.0 USB Drive and its the Apple ProRes 422

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jun 29, 2010 at 1:12:54 am

Your problem is you are trying to use a USB drive for video editing. USB is not suitable for video work it uses bursts of data video requires constant data. FireWire is the minimum connection that will work for video.

Your killing the performance of your Mac Pro with a wimpy drive connection. Do yourself a favor and go buy a couple of terabyte drives to put inside your mac pro tower and raid them together. You will then be able to edit pro res without any need for referenced footage.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 29, 2010 at 1:19:37 am

USB has been known to work with DV. But no way will it work with ProRes! The data rate is SEVEN TIMES that of DV. 3.6MB/s for DV, 20.6 for ProRes 422. 40MB/s for HQ.

So no to USB.

(just adding more info to Zane's great advice)

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Tamou
on Jun 29, 2010 at 1:40:40 am

Thank You Both for your knowledge. Do you have any suggestions on what type of drive I will need?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 29, 2010 at 4:17:24 am

You could get an external hardware raid or you can just do what Zane said and buy a couple of 7200 rpm 1 TB drives and put them in your Mac pro and use disk utility to raid them.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/sata/mac-pro
has some good choices and prices.

If you need to save all your captured/rendered media, you can back them up and reformat between projects or even just remove them, store them, and buy new ones as needed.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 29, 2010 at 3:27:25 am

FWIW, crazy, but I just copied some final files onto a WD portable usb 2.0 mini drive for a client. To my suprise, the 720 60P, ProRes 422 files played back in QT Player. I suppose a frame or two could have been dropped, but it looked fine. Wouldn't edit off one, or expect it to play back to tape flawlessly, but I was amazed.

Since I never output to tape anymore, I edit on Mac Pro 2 ghz off an external FW 800 for HD ProRes, or an internal TB SATA drive. No raids though yet. Except mirrored for backup. I just turn off the drop frame warnings and all works well. Using matrox mxo2 mini for monitoring. I never drop frames on exports! :)

Bret Williams
Web Design . Motion Graphics . Video Editing
http://www.bretwilliams.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]