workflow in fcp

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Salm
workflow in fcp
on Jun 26, 2010 at 9:21:24 am

Hi guys,

This question might seem a bit stupid.

I´ve made probably 2/3 of my movie project, so I thougt of exporting the movie so far to quicktime and the current settings... (not the "export using quicktime") just the quicktime thing... so here goes the question, will I lose any quality if I did that, and started up a new project, and then imported the quicktime movie to it?

best

Rich

Return to posts index

David Johnson
Re: workflow in fcp
on Jun 26, 2010 at 12:46:21 pm

It depends on the codecs you're using ... if your sequence is using a lossless codec and you export it to a MOV using "current settings", then re-import it to another sequence that is of the same lossless codec, no, you will not lose any quality.

You'll know if your MOV and new sequence are of different codecs because FCP will show a render line where the re-imported MOV is in the timeline. One of several ways to avoid that is to duplicate the original sequence and delete the media from the duplicate's timeline, then use that duplicate to put the imported MOV into.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jun 26, 2010 at 12:54:15 pm

if you export it as a quicktime movie with "current" settings and import it back into the same or a different timeline there will be no loss in quality.

Return to posts index

Richard Salm
on Jun 26, 2010 at 2:58:57 pm

Very nice... thanks for quick response ;O)

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 26, 2010 at 10:12:24 pm

That is not completely true, if you are using a highly compressed codec like HDV, anywhere you add a transition, text, filter, effect will take a quality hit that will be noticeable after a couple of generations.

(This is referring to Brian's post, which is mostly true.

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
on Jun 26, 2010 at 10:27:59 pm

do you need a separate QT file? if not you could just create a new sequence and drag the original sequence into it. This is called "Nesting"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]