FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT-Good but fairly inexpensive RAID?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Matthies
OT-Good but fairly inexpensive RAID?
on Jun 25, 2010 at 5:04:43 pm

I'm looking to retire an older but reliable Ciprico Mediavault RAID that I use for a weekly show. I'd like to simply upgrade to larger drives in the system, but it's age is working against it. (It uses PATA/IDE drives-pretty old school)

I'm looking for recommendation for a reasonably priced system in the 4Tb range. My MacPro has all of it's slots filled currently (ATTO SCSI, Firmtek eSATA, Kona, video card) so a fifth card isn't an option. Upgrading to a 4-channel eSATA (currently a 2-channel card) looks like the best option. I need to keep the ATTO card for another Mediavault still on line.

There are a lot of RAIDS that look pretty good. Just looking for someone with real-world experience to throw out a few suggestions.

I don't need a lot of speed. For this show the most demanding files are only DVCPro HD. I've been running RAID 0 with the Mediavault, but some backup protection might be good. (RAID 3 or 5?)

Looking to keep it around $1000-$1200 if possible.

Got suggestions? Fire away.
Thanks,
Tom

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.--Ferris Bueller

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: OT-Good but fairly inexpensive RAID?
on Jun 25, 2010 at 6:14:59 pm

I'm using the Enhance Technology 16 Bay SAS/SATA box (I think RS16SS http://www.enhance-tech.com/products/ultrastor/RS16_SS.html) doing RAID 6 with and Areca card. Would have gone with the ATTO R380 card but the VAR I dealt with screwed up. The box allows you to hook up another box giving you 32 bays (put 2 TB drives in each removable caddy and you have a lot of space). Other vendors sell the same box rebranded as their own.

HTH,

Warren

Warren Eig

O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/AFX.html

http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/KnitWits_Movie.html

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0251670/

EDITING REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Editing_Reel.html

TITLE DESIGN: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Titles_Reel.html

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 25, 2010 at 7:26:58 pm

Been using Maxx Digital going on 3 years now. We have 48TB of their storage and it's rock solid.

Also highly recommend Small Tree Electronics Granite Stor solution.

Sonnet and Dulce also make excellent products.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 25, 2010 at 7:53:49 pm

[walter biscardi] "We have 48TB of their storage and it's rock solid. "

Wow, if you got that for the $1000 to $1200 that Tom asks for in his post then you got a steal.

Tom, if Walter can show you how to get that setup for $1200 you should definitely follow that lead. However, I suspect he was just tooting his own horn.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 25, 2010 at 8:11:48 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "
Tom, if Walter can show you how to get that setup for $1200 you should definitely follow that lead. However, I suspect he was just tooting his own horn."

Toot Toot! My horn sounds pretty darn good.

4TB for $2695. DARN good for 4TB RAID.

http://maxxdigital.com/shop/index.php?cPath=132_103

Since Tom was asking for folks who actually use the products and not just recommending them, thought I would mention that we have 48TB of total storage. One of the 8TB units is over three years old actually and still cutting strong every day. We have another 8TB unit and 2 16TB units. Small Tree just sent us a 16TB Granite Stor to test too.

So my point about having the 48TB is that I use these products, have been using these products for years, and continue to expand my use of these products. In other words, they're REALLY reliable getting hammered all day everyday with all manner of projects from corporate to broadcast series to feature length documentaries.

Tom,

One more sweet idea I totally neglected before is WeibeTech's RTX series of enclosures. They're trayless so you can go out and buy any drives from your local store (Fry's, Best Buy, etc...) and simply slide them into the arrays without the need for screws or anything like that. We have both the RTX-200 and RTX-400 here that we use for archiving projects but you can also RAID the units and they have quadruple interface for maximum compatibility with lots of systems.

http://www.weibetech.com

have fun!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 25, 2010 at 9:21:31 pm

Well, since there isn't really a $1000 or $1200 RAID 5 solution that's really worth trusting anyone's future on anyway, that kind of makes the issue moot.

Tom,

You would do a whole lot better to skimp now and stick with an inexpensive software RAID 0 solution now, than to purchase an inferior software RAID 5 solution now that really might not be reliable.

BTW, if you take a look at the review I wrote a few months ago. about the CalDigit HDPro2, I discuss the difference between hardware and software RAIDs. The only truly reliable protected RAIDs have built-in hardware controllers, either in the enclosure or in the controller card that goes in the computer.

BTW, many of the cheaper products on the market may seem to perform like their more expensive counterparts, but when the rubber hits the road and a drive fails, software RAIDs can leave you stranded.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jun 25, 2010 at 10:18:19 pm

Other World Computing Qx2 8TB Raid 5 for $950. Build it your self for cheaper.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 25, 2010 at 11:06:48 pm

Guys, remember, he won't be adding any NEW cards to his computer, so he has to use a drive that connects to what he has. Either eSATA, or that ATTO SCSI connector. You will be hard pressed to find a SCSI chassis lately...so that leaves eSATA.

Good luck finding eSATA Raid 5...4TB...for $1200. Raid 5 requires a raid controller, and chassis that have them built into the box aren't that cheap. You will have to settle a RAID 0 or JBOD eSATA box for that price. See what G-Technology has to offer in the G-Speed line. But the might be too much.

I use a SANS DIGITAL case with my own hard drives...NOT raided. NO need for a raid with DVCPRO HD or ProRes. Just 4 bare SATA drives that are removable...trayless. That cost $129 for the chassis, and $109 for each 1TB drive.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shawn Bann
on Jun 26, 2010 at 1:44:05 am

I'll second the OWC Raid. I've been using the 4TB model with no issues.
Connects via eSata. Bought mine from macsales.com

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Jun 27, 2010 at 8:59:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.I've had good luck with products from both OWC and "G" products.
It think it will be between a Mercury Elite or a G Speed.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.--Ferris Bueller

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 27, 2010 at 9:16:12 pm

[Tom Matthies] "It think it will be between a Mercury Elite or a G Speed."

I know Gary Adcock loves the G Speed so based on that, I don't think you can go wrong with that unit. Good luck Tom!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Jun 30, 2010 at 12:40:54 am

I went with the G Speed es/eSATA card
Tom

Return to posts index

Oscar Bucco
on Aug 9, 2010 at 9:38:13 pm

Hey Guys,
Just found this thread. Looking for the most storage at a similar range. Wondering what you might think about this 8TB raid from OWC for $949.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEQX2T8.0S/

It seems cheaper some of these other options. Is there a downside to it? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks,
Oscar

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]