FORUMS: list search recent posts

universal codec?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan smith
universal codec?
on Jun 25, 2010 at 9:20:44 am

Hi Guys

I am about to do an edit with some 7d footage. the pressure is on time-wise. Unfortunately my mac (and my pc) are pretty underpowered. I can happily edit with xdcam ex footage around 30-50 mb/s and I hear that is the way to go with 7d footage. neithe machine can cope with realtime playback of the .264s!
My problem is that i want to edit in FCP on my mac but i want to use my PC to do some of the transcoding of the 7d files. Obviously I can't get my pc to make apple xdcam files but I hear i can use the DVCPRO HD equivalent. I downloaded the avid codec pack to use the dv100 codec but FCP isnt happy with this... IS THERE A UNIVERSAL HD CODEC THAT A PC CAN USE THAT FCP WILL ACCEPT AS AN EDIT CODEC?

I noticed in mpeg streamclip that there are apple dvcpro codec options but not dvcpro hd. anyone know why?

Thanks very much (sorry if this an obvious question)

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: universal codec?
on Jun 25, 2010 at 1:27:54 pm

[dan smith] " IS THERE A UNIVERSAL HD CODEC THAT A PC CAN USE THAT FCP WILL ACCEPT AS AN EDIT CODEC?"

LOTS OF THEM. (and please stop screaming)

but since you do not offer any info on what software that you are attempting to use for editing with it is really hard to help you.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Technology Development
Quality Assurance Assistance

Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

dan smith
on Jun 26, 2010 at 9:51:15 am

Hi Gary
Sorry, I thought my post mentioned that I would be editing in FCP.

I have actually done what I wanted to do now. Though it seems from some responses that I may have done the wrong thing. I followed Phillip Bloom's website and encoded my Canon 7d .264s into xdcam ex footage. Someone mentioned that this is bad, but i aim to reconform all the 264 files at the end anyway.

my problem was that i wanted to use my PC to do some of the encoding (using mpeg streamclip) to speed things up. since i can't export to xdcam using mpeg streamclip on a pc, i was looking for a universal codec that was equivalent to xdcam (or better) that both my pc and mac could create via mpeg streamclip that i could then use in fcp without any rendering required.

know you of such a codec?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 25, 2010 at 2:01:39 pm

Dan,
Converting H264 to XDCAM for editing is one of the most senseless thing you can do. Damage your footage and multiply the process time.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 25, 2010 at 2:19:55 pm

Photo JPEG is a universal codec. But not an editable one.

So you want to use a PC to encode the 7D footage for editing in FCP? I don't think that is gonna work out. It is unwise to use software on other platforms for converting files to use in FCP. DVCPRO HD only comes with FCP. ProRes encoding (the PREFERRED format to convert H.264 files from the DSLRs) only comes with FCP.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

dan smith
on Jun 26, 2010 at 9:57:13 am

Thanks Shane, very helpful.

I have spent nine hours encoding all my footage to xdcam - following Phillip Bloom's website tutorial. In hindsight i guess prores would have been the better choice. Though i aim to just reconform my timeline to the .264 files at the end of the job. That should work fine (i hope).

What you said about sticking to one system is good advice for the future. I'll just have to upgrade my mac so he can handle more file crunching!

All the best

Dan

Return to posts index

dan smith
on Jun 26, 2010 at 9:53:37 am

Thanks for your response.

It's interesting you should say that. I am following Phillip Bloom's instruction as he seems to be 'the man' when it comes to DSLRs (i may be wrong!).

I guess i could have used pro-res. but in the end i will reconform my timeline to the original 264 files anyway so the xdcam proxies will only be an intermediary.

Does this sound agreeable to you?

thanks, Dan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 27, 2010 at 5:11:54 pm

The BIG problem is that you're trying to do cross-platform work.

A long time ago, Microsoft and Apple agreed to disagree on what constitutes a good multimedia container, which makes it really tough to go cross-platform. Now there ARE some good intermediate codecs mentioned above, but the problem is that none of them are good realtime editing codecs for either Windows or Mac.

Geez, I wish computer companies could just cut the crap, y'know?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

dan smith
on Jun 30, 2010 at 11:16:52 am

Thanks Dave,

I guess I will be sticking to the apple workflow!

best

Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]