FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting NTSC footage to PAL via FCP?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jade Heritage
Converting NTSC footage to PAL via FCP?
on Jun 24, 2010 at 10:10:58 am

Hello there, I am sure this has been covered before (in fact I found a thread via google a few years ago, but the advice it gave was void because the recommended plugins no longer exist).

I did some documentation of an event a few months ago, and I had to work with the cameras I had, one was PAL and one was NTSC. I knew this would later cause problems but I was in no position to find an alternative.
I have captured both parts fine onto my HD, but I would now like to convert the NTSC footage so I can use it in a PAL timeline on my project in FCP. I need to cut the two cameras together.

I want to make sure I do this properly, I have tried a few things (I tried to convert via quicktime conversion as DV PAL but it gave me those horrible movement lines whenever the camera moved) but as I am no professional I would like some straightforward advice on settings etc. so I can make sure there are no faults with it later on.

If anyone could tell me what to do, from sequence settings to exporting/converting, I would really appreciate it. I would like to do it via FCP if possible as I am limited on software and space on my internal hard drive too.

If there is anything else you need to know please let me know and I'll make things clearer. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
Re: Converting NTSC footage to PAL via FCP?
on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:53:27 pm

We use Natress Standards Conversion

http://www.nattress.com/Products/standardsconversion/standardsconversion.ht...

It is a plug-in that costs about $100. We weren't as happy with Compressor's conversion.

P.S.
It is not a recommended workflow to store your capture scratch media on your boot drive. Running your system with less then 15% free space on your boot drive is also not recommended. That doesn't mean it won't work but that doesn't mean you shouldn't expect performance issues or worse.

Return to posts index

Jade Heritage
Re: Converting NTSC footage to PAL via FCP?
on Jun 24, 2010 at 8:21:45 pm

Thanks, I was looking for a less expensive solution as I am a student, and, well, you understand the rest!

Oh, and I referred to my external HD for the footage, but when I mentioned internal HD later I meant for additional software, as I know some software takes up a lot of space, etc. Having said that, I do need to clear a lot of space on my internal HD anyway as it makes it ridiculously slow.

I am guessing the solution is to spend money, else the results will be mediocre?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]