FORUMS: list search recent posts

encryption for media drives

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Nelson
encryption for media drives
on Jun 23, 2010 at 9:27:01 pm

An IT Dept. I can't name, is asking me to set up encryption for my media drives. I said I was worried that whatever software/key they might use could jeopardize the media data. I just need a reality check...is there a safe way to do this?

Thanks,

Brett Nelson

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: encryption for media drives
on Jun 23, 2010 at 9:52:35 pm

Media drives? No.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 23, 2010 at 10:47:24 pm

[Brett Nelson] "I said I was worried that whatever software/key they might use could jeopardize the media data."

Hey Brett!!!

I'd be very concerned about dropping frames after any kind of encryption algorithm is applied.

Let those silly IT guys know that the very purpose of media drives is throughput. That we pay great gobs of money for that throughput. And, that the antithesis of throughput is anything that limits the speed of the read and write processes, such as encryption.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on Jun 24, 2010 at 12:58:44 am

You must be cutting some super cool stuff.
Let the IT dept know that muli-million dollar movies are made without encrypted drives. Is your stuff worth more than that?

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Jun 24, 2010 at 3:14:22 am

Tell your IT dept to spend the money on a VERY strong LOCK for your office door! That would go alot further towards securing your "media" than encrypting the drives.

I love our IT guys (really, they're great at what they do), but I don't let 'em touch the editing systems.

mark

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Jun 24, 2010 at 5:25:23 am

Do be aware that any ordinary cylinder lock can be opened as fast (or faster!) without a key as with.

An expensive Class I cylinder lock may take 15-20 seconds extra to open without a key, at an extra cost of more than $100.00.

The only kind of secure cylinder lock I know of is a special kind with dual tumblers and a U-shaped key. Those have withstood 24 hours of attempts by professional locksmiths (who were motivated by a $250,000 reward if they could get in).

Keycard electronic locks are laughable...

Hopefully the door hinges are protected so they can't just be removed, and the door should have pins going into a competent door frame (rare in California...).

If you need REAL security, you need to hire an Israeli security consultant. They provide the only truly competent security I have ever seen. They are GOOD! Not a minimum wage guy accepting a school meal card for an ID...

I have been to nuclear power plants, air force bases full of nuclear weapons, and all kinds of sensitive installations in the U.S. All I can say is that their security was based on having good luck every day, and not much else. Worrisome frankly.

Return to posts index

Brett Nelson
on Jun 24, 2010 at 12:08:56 pm

BJ,
I agree with hiring an Israeli security consultant. I never knew what airport security was until flying out of Ben Gurion in Tel Aviv. They touched almost every item in every one of 4 cases. 45 minutes of undivided security love. Very impressive.

My favorite security experience was driving into Israel from Jordan. Two very attractive IDF soldiers started casually talking to me as I was waiting with my equipment. What was I filming? Where was I going? They asked me if I would take their picture. I was flattered until I realized how many questions I had answered without thinking...then, all of a sudden, they disappeared. I felt so used...they didn't even just want me for my camera.

Brett

Return to posts index

Brett Nelson
on Jun 24, 2010 at 11:55:59 am

Thanks for the responses. Yes, it's ridiculous...it's a power issue, and not the AC or DC kind. We have a Mac Pro, which isn't questioned, but this all came up in the process of buying a Macbook Pro. They're stressed out about terabytes of data walking in and out of the door every day. I said that's why production insurance is so expensive. It's unavoidably a high risk.

I told them our best risk protection is that we have nothing worth protecting. This is for a nonprofit organization. Shots of kids, health care workers, disaster relief workers...not sexy. The IT person's response, "Yes, but it's still our data." Right.

Out IT people are not so different for many agency creatives I've worked with in the past...everybody wants to stick their fingers in the pie. "See that shade of cyan? Yeah, you should have seen it before." Imagine what an agency creative would say about being lumped together with an IT person...

thanks,

Brett

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:40:27 pm

If this is a "power issue", then it's time to man up and tell them where to stick their "encryption".
They are totally out of line here. This is the kind of attitude that gives IT deparments such a bad rep.
If you can't get any results "mano a mano", then go over their head to the person who controls the money and explain how much MORE MONEY this stupid idea will cost the company. That should shut them down in a hurry. I wouldn't count on any tech support after that, but from the sounds of it, that may be a blessing!!!!

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]