FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP studio on a macbook?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
justine beatty
FCP studio on a macbook?
on Jun 23, 2010 at 4:49:42 pm

Hi there!
I was just wondering if anyone has experience running FCP 6 or 7 on a macbook, cos everywhere I've looked so far people are using macbook pros... i'm upgrading from osx 10.4.11 to osx 10.5.6, because I still need to use Pro Tools 7.4.2...
my stats:
Intel Core Duo
2ghz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
I just upgraded my harddrive so I have around 200gb free
my graphics card is Intel GMA 950

appreciate any feedback! thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: FCP studio on a macbook?
on Jun 23, 2010 at 6:14:01 pm

Hi Justin,
Justine, if FC would run OK in a MacBook, nobody would spend a bunch of money in a MBP.

I don't know about FC, but sure that you won't be able to install some of the FCS 2/3 application.
You may be able to run FC but I don't think that with much performance.
I guess that the main shortcoming may be the graphic card.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 24, 2010 at 1:39:50 am

What ports do you have? You do not want to store your media on your system drive. So you need at least firewire 400 for DV and firewire 800 for HDV or the like.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

justine beatty
on Jun 24, 2010 at 9:01:31 am

Hi Craig
Thanks for the response. I have a firewire 400 port on my macbook. Do you think I need to get an ext.hd that works with firewire? Is it becos it's faster than the internal system hd? btw, my hd is brand new, got it put in yesterday ;-)
Rafael said that the graphics card in the macbook isn't good for fcp. I installed and ran fc under 10.4.11 a few times and it crashed alot. But I was hoping to be able to upgrade my system to 10.5.6 so that i could cut some straightforward 3 minute podcasts, and use ProTools at the same time.
J

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:58:47 pm

[justine beatty] " But I was hoping to be able to upgrade my system to 10.5.6 so that i could cut some straightforward 3 minute podcasts, and use ProTools at the same time. "
Justine,
The performance will depend very much of the kind of footage you work with (SD/HD. Intraframe/GOP formats,..).
Try to make the things as easy as possible for FC.
About using an external HD for media, that is the way to go. The main HD is busy enough running the System and Applications. This easy his tasks.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]