FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Show to SD DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Kearns
HD Show to SD DVD
on Jun 23, 2010 at 3:41:34 pm

I have a HD show that needs to be down converted to SD and burn to a dvd, whats is the best work flow. I would normally export final product in apple pro res so I have it, then place that in a SD timeline, export for DVD studio pro and create the DVD. Can I export it in HD to DVD studio pro and down convert there, whats the best way? The dvd is for client approval.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: HD Show to SD DVD
on Jun 23, 2010 at 4:59:51 pm

[Mike Kearns] "I have a HD show that needs to be down converted to SD and burn to a dvd"

No, you don't. All DVDs, except BluRay are SD, and you don't ever down-convert HD to SD before encoding to MPEG2. It's not only completely unnecessary waste of your time, it's an unnecessary re-compression step that will make you DVD hideous.

The answer can be found right in the FCP Forum FAQ... Here's what you would ahve found had you checked there:

How do I create a Standard DVD from an HD Project?
From your finished HD timeline:

File > Export > Quicktime Movie.

Leave it set to "Current Settings"

You can export a Reference movie if you'd like, meaning leave "Make Self Contained Movie" UNchecked.

Take that Quicktime movie into Compressor.

Choose the DVD Compression of your choice, such as DVD 90 Minutes High Quality. Compressor will create a Standard Definition 16:9 MPEG-2.

Also select the Dolby Digital Audio to create the AC-3 audio file.

Launch DVD Studio Pro and bring the MPEG-2 and AC-3 into your project.

Now create a DVD!

DVD Studio Pro will create a DVD in 16:9 widescreen format that will automatically play Letterboxed on a 4:3 TV and full screen on a 16:9 widescreen.

Cool, huh?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 23, 2010 at 7:17:11 pm

Question for David.

In the HD timeline to SD DVD workflow, what is the advantage of exporting a QT movie and taking that into Compressor vs using 'Export using Compressor' directly from the timeline?

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 23, 2010 at 7:40:59 pm

1) you can keep editing in FCP while Compressor encodes

2) Compressor is faster when working from a single file, because it avoids the look ahead clip by clip encoding features of VBR encoding that pretty much creates more problems than it solves.

I used to know all the proper terms for this stuff inside and out, but I abandoned encoding from the timeline and VBR encoding so long ago that now I've forgotten much of the terminology. It was necessary "in the day" when encoding was not as good and when squeezing the most onto a DVD seemed to always be the most important aspect of DVD creation.

3) there are other advantages, but I'm working on too many things to remember them now. Hopefully others here will add a few...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 23, 2010 at 9:12:21 pm

David,
I knew about freeing up FCP to keep working, but didn't know it made it run faster.
I knew you had good reasons, just hadn't heard what they were.
Thanks.
S

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

george sloan
on Jan 5, 2011 at 5:50:44 am

Hello David,

I am searching for the best quality decision in converting High definition 1080i
(using canon xha1 to FCP 7 Pro on Mac Pro Intel ) to deliver to local origination cable broadcaster.

It is a 30 minute program i have airing for several months. The question is how to best deliver
on DVD in 4:3 letter boxed for best quality. What is best workflow? Settings in FCP? and best codec.
I like the look of Jpeg photo.

Currently I edit in HD1080i..then cut and paste into sd timeline. Long render. Then compress to quicktime.

Deliver on DVD to broadcaster that auto coverts everything to 4:3 before airing.

Thanks GEORGE

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 5, 2011 at 4:43:02 pm

George,

It sounds as though you want to deliver a file on a DVD rather than a playable DVD video. Is that correct?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

george sloan
on Jan 5, 2011 at 5:57:17 pm

David,

So far iv'e always delivered a playable DVD to the station for broadcast but have recently
considered delivering a quicktime file on DVD non playable. Is that what you mean? sounds like the end
result would be better? Never tried that.

George

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 5, 2011 at 7:14:39 pm

If the cable station will accept QT files instead of a "video DVD" that would be much better. You'd best check with them, and if they will accept QT files, ask which QT codec they prefer.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

george sloan
on Jan 5, 2011 at 7:59:22 pm

Thanks David,

They don't have a clue which codec they prefer. Can you walk me through the proper steps in Compressor
so that I can deliver the proper SD QT movie file letterboxed so that it will preserve the 16x 9 aspect ratio?

I am totally confused by Compressor manual.
Dont have studio pro. I author with Toast.

Thanks for your patience..... George

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 5, 2011 at 6:59:48 pm

[george sloan] "It is a 30 minute program i have airing for several months. The question is how to best deliver
on DVD in 4:3 letter boxed for best quality. What is best workflow? Settings in FCP? and best codec.
I like the look of Jpeg photo.

Currently I edit in HD1080i..then cut and paste into sd timeline. Long render. Then compress to quicktime."

Pasting into an SD timeline is the worst thing you can do. FCP is terrible at conversion of HD to SD. At the very least send your HD Quicktime movie of the timeline to Compressor and have Compressor make the conversion.

A much MUCH better way would be to invest in something like an AJA Kona board which does full broadcast conversions in realtime. That's what we do here.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

george sloan
on Jan 5, 2011 at 7:38:08 pm

Thanks Walter,
I have no choice but to use compressor. After checking the compressor manual I am totally confused as to the proper settings. Keep in mind that I have to deliver on DVD to the station in SD preserving the original
16:9 by letterboxing. The broadcasters software will squeeze anything it perceives as not being 4:3.

Thanks for your patience.

George Sloan
Young Harris, Ga.

Return to posts index

george sloan
on Jan 6, 2011 at 10:05:59 pm

Hi Walter

Using the process you described from FAQ...entitled...

"How do I create a Standard DVD from an HD Project?
From your finished HD timeline:"

Works great but no good for delivering on DVD to broadcast using an older encoder/modulator.
Which takes the dvd material and squishes/elongates the images for standard mgeg2.

I have talked to the station and the modulator'encoder manufacter... they nothing but standard def
4:3 mpeg 2 which is what they want on DVD. I would like a higher quality product since I am shoooting in 1O80i. Shoot I give up and just shoot and or edit in sd. (cannot buy new hardware at this time)

George

Return to posts index

Mike Kearns
on Jun 23, 2010 at 7:39:24 pm

Thanks, a good friend and fellow cow user gave me the exact same advice, thanks for helping so quickly.

Return to posts index

Paul Liatsis
on Aug 19, 2010 at 10:24:31 pm

Hi. I am involved in the same process. I shot an 80 minute edited piece on my HVX-200. I shot it DVCPRO HD 720 24pn. Now I am finished with all my edits in Final Cut and I want to achieve the absolute best quality DVD I can, regardless of how long it takes. Are there any more advanced settings I can change in Compressor besides from just using the BEST DVD QUALITY preset? Also, is there any difference outputting from my final cut timeline directly into compressor than making a quicktime reference file? Thanks for any and all help!

Return to posts index

george sloan
on Jan 6, 2011 at 10:03:35 pm

HI David,

Using the process you described from FAQ...entitled...

"How do I create a Standard DVD from an HD Project?
From your finished HD timeline:"

Works great but no good for delivering on DVD to broadcast using an older encoder/modulator.
Which takes the dvd material and squishes/elongates the images for standard mgeg2.

I have talked to the station and the modulator'encoder manufacter... they no nothing but standard def
4:3 mpeg 2 which is what they want on DVD. I would like a higher quality product since I am shoooting in 1O80i. Shoot I give up and just shoot and or edit in sd. (cannot buy new hardware at this time)

George

Return to posts index

Phil Valentine
on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:51:01 pm

I followed those instructions and I'm still getting sub-par video as a result on the DVD. Text is a little jagged and faces are a bit blurred. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I know at one point it asked me to set the bit rate and I wasn't sure what to do so I just left it where it was.

Thanks,

Phil

Return to posts index

Christina Rodriguez
on Apr 16, 2011 at 4:56:10 pm

Here are requirements of a a few stations I upload to:
(this is for tv commercials though, not programming)

If your spot is in High Definition, please use the following file format:
MPEG2 / .m2t  
(Note: this is not just any Mpeg2, it is Mpeg2 “t”, not “v”).
·     1280x720
·     720P @ 59.94 fps
·     25 Mbits/s Constant Bit Rate
·     Multiplexed w/AC3 Audio (Stereo or Multi-Channel)

If your spot is in Standard Definition, please use the following file format:
MPEG2
·     720x480
·     12 Mbits/s Constant Bit Rate
·     Multiplexed Audio
·     6/1 I-Frame Configuration

---

Others just prefer .mov which I deliver with h.264 compressor, leave the bit rate blank, key frames automatic, frame rate as is, and quality between high and best. I usually do this w/QT conversion, but I am uploading 30" to 1" spots, so it doesn't really take too much time...

----

They also state:

When producing HD Spots, be sure to have the production company keep all essential elements such as Logos, Graphics and Main Video elements within the Standard Definition 4:3 safety area. 

This is to ensure that viewers that are still on Standard definition cable or Satellite are able to view all the main elements of a spot. 

Any elements outside the 4:3 safety area will only be seen on True HD Monitors connected to a regular antenna, HD Cable or HD Satellite and Standard Television sets connected to a convertor box. 

C.R.

Return to posts index

Amir Leron
on Mar 20, 2013 at 6:37:12 am

Hi David, i read your thread and need an argent help. for the last day i can't find the answer. i have a 1980:1080 video i edited in FCP and finish it in dvd studio pro. my problem is that when play he dvd the image (on the wide screen tv) keep coming stretched horizontally and the people (and in my case yoga people) look shorter and fatter. the only way the image look good is if i manually change the tv setting for 4:3 and zoom, but i must have the dvd played right for 16:9.
i tryed the way you wrote and as well i tryed to first downres to 720:480 and then make mpeg with compressor but the resulte are the same. i read some thread saying to compress the image to 720:480 and then to mpeg 16:9 anamorphic. but couldn't find that option in compressor. as you see i'm lost and my deadline is already pass...
please help
thanks a lot
Amir

Return to posts index

Jim Hyslop
on Aug 20, 2014 at 3:54:25 am

OK, so I know this thread is four years old, but I'm hoping someone is still monitoring it.

David, I tried the suggestions that you posted from the FAQ, but my DVD is not automatically switching between letterbox and full screen.

If I set the video mode for the track to 4:3, it ends up as full screen on both HD and SD screens. Which is fine for 16:9, but terrible on 4:3. If I set it to pan-scan, then (again) it looks fine on the 16:9 monitor, but it's a true pan-and-scan image on the 4:3 monitor - the edges are cropped. If I set it to 16:9 letterbox or 16:9 letterbox+pan-scan, then it ends up being letterboxed everywhere - on 4:3 monitors (which looks OK) and on 16:9 monitors (which makes everything look reaaallly wide - might be OK to simulate Cinemascope).

So what settings do I need to tweak to make it switch automatically, like you say it should? Or should I just assume that the majority of TVs by now are 16:9 and not worry about the 4:3 Luddites?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]