FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV Digitizing Issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Zernec
HDV Digitizing Issue
on Jun 21, 2010 at 5:47:25 pm

Hey guys,

I've been digitizing HDV footage on FCP 7. I've just been dumping the entire tape onto my HD, and I've had FCP set to "create new clip" when the footage breaks. It seemed to work just fine before I upgraded to 7 (I was using 5 before), but now for some reason it's been cutting off parts of some of my clips (i.e. the clip will pick up in the middle of a take, I'll have to go back, find the original and re-digitize manually, etc). Is there any way to correct this? Any idea why it's happening? I've digitized from 2 different sources, with the same result: a camera (don't recall model #) and a sony HDV deck.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kevin Knutson
Re: HDV Digitizing Issue
on Jun 21, 2010 at 8:44:30 pm

Sounds like timecode breaks. HDV and miniDV are highly prone to timecode issues. And sometimes, the tape can capture just fine the first time or so, but with degradation, the breaks appear.

Or is the issue that the footage was already captured fine, and after the upgrade the clips have been altered?

Return to posts index

Ryan Zernec
on Jun 22, 2010 at 1:09:10 am

Hey, thanks for responding.

You are correct, the footage was already captured once using FCP 5, and this wasn't an issue. The issue then was that it wouldn't let me capture in HDV, the only codec that would work was Apple Intermediate, which I didn't want.

So, I upgraded to FCP 7 and the HDV codec worked just fine.... but now this. I have digitized from both the camera and from an HDV deck, both with the same result, on different tapes (both fresh from the package when they were recorded on within the last month or so).

Return to posts index

Kevin Knutson
on Jun 22, 2010 at 6:55:02 pm

Yeah, fresh tape or not, this happens all the time with HDV and MiniDV stock. Try capturing the portion of the tape (giving it a lot of time on both ends of the clip) without "making a new clip" during the transfer.

Another chance, I know it seems odd, plug the camera VTR into the deck, and try to make a new copy of the tape in question. Sometimes they play better than they capture and you may be able to smooth over the break in the copy.

Return to posts index

Ryan Zernec
on Jun 23, 2010 at 6:22:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. It's gonna take a lot of time to go back through all of my footage and JUSt recapture specific clips, so I was trying to avoid that if possible. But if I gotta, I gotta. Maybe I'll try the copying method for the next shoot, before I digitize.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]