FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Canvas

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Lewis
FCP Canvas
on Jun 21, 2010 at 12:27:40 pm

HI there,

This may be a ridiculous question but if anyone can help it would be mucho appreciated:

Essentially I am trying to make HD footage look like a crappy audition tape, now I apply various subtle effects (as I don't want to go overboard) and it looks perfect in the canvas...but then I render/export the footage and it looks completely different ie rubbish. Is there anyway to export the footage as it looks in the canvas? Or is that just a ridiculously inaccurate preview window?

Cheers

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: FCP Canvas
on Jun 21, 2010 at 4:26:49 pm

The canvas is not intended as a broadcast monitor. If you set its size to 100%, that's the best it's going to look. For accurate monitoring you need an I/O card or device and a broadcast monitor hooked to it.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Simon Lewis
on Jun 21, 2010 at 5:06:49 pm

Well the footage isn't for broadcast so that really isn't what I'm asking. I'm wondering why the pre-rendered footage in the canvas is dramatically different to when it gets rendered. Basically I'm trying to establish what codec to use to get my video looking like it does it the canvas before it gets rendered.

I spend ages applying effects and such; I get it looking cool then I render it in FCP and it looks completely different. It's like I'm blindly applying effects and hoping for the best.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 21, 2010 at 6:15:25 pm

What codec is the sequence set to? If it's a low-quality codec like DV it will degrade your footage. If you haven't tried ProRes, set the Compressor setting in the Sequence menu to ProRes 422 or ProRes LT and render. Hopefully, you get better results.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]