FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multicam ps2 stutter

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john younger
Multicam ps2 stutter
on Jun 20, 2010 at 12:04:52 am

ok so imported some p2 files from a hard drive using log and transfer. I transfer via firewire. Had to learn to rebuild txt files which was generally a pain. So i have 6 stream i put into a multi clip file and now it stutters. The footage is on a 7200 internal drive.I have a main drive and two data drives in the tower that are 7200 rpm. i also have a 4tb drive used for my time machine. I have a 2x2.8 quad core Xeon with 8 gig ram. Is this an issue of the drives not being fast enough?? if so, is there a workaround?? Someone i know mentioned RAID but i have no idea about a RAID setup. Will putting the clips on a Firewire 800 resolve this??
Thanks in advance and i apologize for my ramblings,
John

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Multicam ps2 stutter
on Jun 20, 2010 at 12:46:51 am

yes it is a drive issue, there is no way even a FW800 drive will keep up with 6 streams of video. You need a stripped RAID set, at least 4 drives conbined into a single drive. This also requires a host adapter card. I you want to do this type of editing you need to get the right equipment, in this case it is a fast drive system.

Return to posts index

john younger
on Jun 20, 2010 at 1:34:54 am

Thanks for info... Is there a raid system you can recommend? Also could I convert the footage into something I could use 6 streams with? Thanks
John

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 20, 2010 at 1:47:03 am

Have you tried reducing playback quality in the RT menu?

Return to posts index

john younger
on Jun 20, 2010 at 2:14:23 am

yes. Same issue

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 20, 2010 at 4:40:53 am

Then you need faster storage, as stated by the others

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 20, 2010 at 11:34:54 pm

There are so many storage options out there but for multicam editing you need fast, For $2 or 3K you can put together really fast stuff with SAS connectors. If you buy the prepackaged stuff it cost about twice that much but you don't need to think through all the different options.

It has been at least 3 years since I put my RAID together at the time it was fast and cheap but no redundancy. For that you needed about 8-10K. Things have changed but since my still works great I have not looked to closely at anything for me to be able to recommend. There have been a few articles about different systems here on the cow. One thing that is very popular is ethernet based SAN system. But I would not sure they are fast enough for multicam editing. Great for inexpensive shared storage but I don't think they would be fast enough for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]