FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert DVCPROHD 30p to ProRes 23.98

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sofi Marshall
Convert DVCPROHD 30p to ProRes 23.98
on Jun 18, 2010 at 6:27:30 pm

Hi all,

I have footage that was recorded on the HVX200 at 1080 24p. I need to get this footage to 23.98 fps in the ProRes format, but I can't seem to figure out the correct way to do this.

When I bring the footage into FCP through Log and Transfer, it comes in as DVCPROHD 30p at 29.97, which is expected. However, if I try to bring these clips into Cinema Tools to remove the standard pulldown, I get Error: this movie file has temporal compression. I'm assuming this has to do with the DVCPRO format and that maybe I need to transcode my footage to Pro Res before coming into Cinema Tools to remove the pulldown.

So what is the best workflow for me to take the raw 1080 24p footage and get it into FCP as Pro Res and 23.98? Should I be importing to FCP via Log and Transfer, then using Compressor to go out to Pro Res, then using Cinema Tools to remove the pulldown? This seems like quite a process so I'm working if I'm missing something here.

Any help would be great, thanks!

-Sofi

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Convert DVCPROHD 30p to ProRes 23.98
on Jun 18, 2010 at 7:06:25 pm

Remove pulldown in the LOG AND TRANSFER Process. Go into the Sprocket Menu of the L&T tool, choose PREFERENCES, and make sure that REMOVE PULLDOWN is checked. If it STILL doesn't, then you shot a format that wasn't designed for pulldown removal. 1080p24 comes in as 29.97. It is 1080pA24 that is used to get to 23.98. If you can't remove pulldown, then just use Compressor to do that, when you convert to ProRes....since you will be using it already to do the ProREs conversion.

Why do you need ProRes?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sofi Marshall
on Jun 18, 2010 at 7:31:48 pm

Thanks Shane. It doesn't work to check remove pulldown in Log and Transfer because the footage wasn't shot 24a, but 24 (big mistake on the DP's part). But I need to somehow get the footage to 23.98 because it needs to be incorporated into other 23.98 timelines. I want it to be Pro Res because the rest of the footage is Pro Res, so I'd like everything to be the same format.

How do I remove the pulldown in Compressor while converting to Pro Res?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 18, 2010 at 7:36:59 pm

You change the frame rate (a setting in the inspector...I think the first option on the left), and then set the FRAME CONTROLS to REVERSE TELECINE. Try that...see how it looks. If it doesn't look good, then set the frame controls to BEST and let it go. It will take forever...

Shane

Return to posts index

Sofi Marshall
on Jun 18, 2010 at 9:19:26 pm

Thanks Shane, I tried this, but the footage turns out even more interlaced. I'm really confused by this statement in the FCP guide to HD formats:

Important: The Log and Transfer window cannot remove standard 3:2 pull-down. To convert footage with 3:2 pull-down, you can ingest the media at 29.97 fps and then use Cinema Tools to remove the pull-down.

When I ingest the media as 29.97 and then attempt to remove the pulldown in Cinema Tools, I get Error: this movie file has temporal compression. I don't understand what this is happening or how to fix it. There's no way to transcode to Pro Res while I'm ingesting through Log and Transfer is there?

I realize that the footage was recorded incorrectly for editing at 23.98, but there must be a way to remove the pulldown from this footage and get good looking results.

Are there any other options I can try?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 18, 2010 at 9:33:43 pm

Try converting to ProRes first, then using Cinema Tools.

Shane

Return to posts index

Sofi Marshall
on Jun 19, 2010 at 12:33:23 am

Thanks Shane. I tried this and still no luck, though it's possible I'm not choosing the correct settings in the reverse telecine dialogue box in cinema tools. I also tried a bunch of different settings in Compressor and still had no luck.

After hours of searching, I saw someone had posted that they had luck with a program called JES Deinterlacer, so I followed their advice, did some research on settings for that and it worked! I can not figure out why Compressor and Cinema Tools (apps that I actually paid for) can not handle this conversion properly when a free app can do it with incredibly smooth results. The settings that I used in JES Deinterlacer are the same ones I've been using all along with Compressor and Cinema Tools, so I really don't understand it.

Anyway, it works and that's all that matters... this experience just reinforces the idea that the editor has to be brought on the project BEFORE any shooting begins.

Thanks so much for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]