FORUMS: list search recent posts

Once hidden, FCP refuses to reopen

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Elliott
Once hidden, FCP refuses to reopen
on Jun 18, 2010 at 5:56:26 pm

I've got a strange thing going on here, experienced it for the second time today:

If for any reason I need to hide FCP, I do so, it's as simple as Cmd+H. But once I do that, nothing I do brings FCP back into view, I have to force quit it in order to do anything again.

FCP is hidden right now, the Dock indicates that I haven't quit it in any way, but clicking on the dock icon does nothing. Holding the mouse button down shows the four windows available (Viewer, Canvas, Timeline, Browser), but clicking on any of them does nothing either, other than make this Firefox window become a background window.

At no point does Final Cut appear in the Menu, and even Cmd+Tab switching shows that FCP is the open, foremost app, and switching between apps using that option does nothing either.

Final Cut is open, somewhere, I'm sure of it - it hasn't hung or crashed or whatever, it's just not actually appearing after I chose to hide it.

If it narrows it down, the only thing that has happened to my MacBook Pro between when FCP didn't do this upon being hidden last week, and not appearing this week, is installing the iTunes and Security update. And I doubt they have anything to do with it.

It's FCP 6.0.6, and it doesn't remember last opened projects when I reopen it after a Force Quit, namely the one I'm working on. It does however remember the project before this recent one. Don't know if that is necessary information, but there you go.

Any ideas as to what could be going on here? I'm about to shut down and restart in the hope that something as simple as that will prove to work...

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
Re: Once hidden, FCP refuses to reopen
on Jun 18, 2010 at 6:03:54 pm

I have fixed this by doing a safe boot(restart while holding down shift until the apple screen) Login window will say safe boot above users.

Disk Utility/repair permissions on boot drive/restart

Return to posts index

Matt Elliott
on Jun 18, 2010 at 6:09:18 pm

Thanks, I think so far a normal shut down and start up has worked, might be worthwhile giving disk utility a check though.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Jun 18, 2010 at 10:54:53 pm

Had this same problem about a year ago. Drove my tech guy crazy for a few hours.

It turns out the behavior appeared after installing WMV Player (it plays .wmv files in a Quicktime window). Somehow, it corrupted something. Deleting the program fixed the hiding/unhiding problem. Re-installing WMV Player had no ill effects.

So it seems that installing or updating can sometimes have unpredictable results -- even when it shouldn't.

OT - Heck, I remember when (many years ago) my Avid came to a grinding halt because of a single piece of bad media. It crashed the system and actually corrupted the MAC OS. Required a complete wipe and reinstall from ground zero! How the heck does THAT happen?

So I'd look askance at the iTunes or Security update. For what it's worth...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]