FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Compression from DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melvin Royster
Best Compression from DVD
on Jun 18, 2010 at 3:01:26 am

Hello all, I have a question, hince the reason I'm here. I did a search already and found some answers but not everything. I have a client who has given me home movies of his kid playing basketball on DVD's. I'm using the program Mpeg Streamclip, but now I'm worried quality.

I want to know what is the best compression in Mpeg Streamclip for editing video from DVDs where I won't loose too much quality? Video is intended to go online and on dvd's. I thought I had ProRes codec but I don't.

FCP 5
Macbook Pro
2.2 Ghz
2Gb Ram

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Best Compression from DVD
on Jun 18, 2010 at 3:38:53 am

You're looking for the best codec, not the best compression. Use DVCPro50, sometimes listed as DV50 in QT.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Melvin Royster
on Jun 18, 2010 at 3:54:18 am

Thanks, yeah sorry about that, I'm looking for the best codec. Now will the DVCPro50 work well in FCP?

I originally had ripped the DVD using H.264 but I realized its only a finishing codec. Then I tried the DV-NTSC codec from that H.264 file, and saw I was loosing some quality, but will ripping it from the DVD at DVCPro5 be better?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 18, 2010 at 4:31:41 am

Video ripped from a DVD can't get any better than DV50. Unlike DV which operates in 4:1:1 color space, DV50 operates in 4:2:2 color space. It won't make the video appreciably better, but text and graphics will be a lot better.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jun 18, 2010 at 6:42:28 am

DV50 will also hold up better for the reencoding.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]