FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC vrs HDV

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mimi lieberman
NTSC vrs HDV
on Jun 17, 2010 at 11:29:38 pm

What is the ratio in hard disk space used between the NTSC and HDV formats. I have only edited using NTSC in Final Cut. I have been asked to edit HD footage and want to guage the amount of disk space needed to determine if I will have to buy another external drive.

I have been using a JVC VS30U VCR to edit. The person wants to loan me his HD camera to input wedding footage into my Mac. I am skeptical about using his camera. I was told long ago that a camera's rewind mechanism is not set up for editing. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: NTSC vrs HDV
on Jun 18, 2010 at 12:12:40 am

NTSC isn't a tape format...it is a format standard. NTSC is North America and japan, PAL is Europe. DV is NTSC, Digibeta, betaSP...heck, even HDV running at 29.97 is NTSC, as is HDCAM, HDCAM SR...HD formats. So I am guessing you mean DV.

Would it surprise you to know that DV and HDV have the EXACT SAME data rate? They both are recorded to the same tape stock...both digitally. So the same amount of space for both. 13.6GB/hour.

For HDV to have the same data rate as DV, yet be 1080i and not 480i...that means its REALLY compressed...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

mimi lieberman
on Jun 18, 2010 at 1:13:48 am

Thank you for responding so quickly. Sorry I forgot the DV before the NTSC.

HD is new to me. Let me ask you this... Can I use mini DV tapes with HD footage in my JVC SR-VS30U, which is a mini DV/S-VHS VCR? Or, must I have a HD VCR to input via firewire into FCP. Do you think a consumer HD camera is capable of editing 8 hours of mini DV tape. I'm concerned about using a camera, especially someone else's to do this video. What do you think?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 18, 2010 at 12:42:22 pm

You need a HDV deck/camera to play the tapes. Just use his camera to load the footage.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 18, 2010 at 4:28:44 pm

Do what Chris says. Even under constant use, the heads on modern digital cameras will most likely last far longer than the video format will remain in vogue.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

EPK Colorist - UP IN THE AIR - nominated for six academy awards

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]