FORUMS: list search recent posts

Captruing hi-8 into FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Clancy
Captruing hi-8 into FCP
on Jun 17, 2010 at 5:06:09 pm

Hello,

I am capturing some old high 8 footage via an equally old Sony camera, using fire wire connected to FCP. I have my capture settings set to a non-controllable device and the capture input at DV NTSC 48kHZ.

I have managed successfully to capture the footage into FCP but when I play the footage back it appears fragmented across six or seven horizontal lines on the screen. The footage looks fine played back on the camera and while it's capturing...something I could be doing wrong that's dividing up these fields?

Any help would be most welcomed.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Captruing hi-8 into FCP
on Jun 17, 2010 at 5:24:06 pm

[Tim Clancy] "I am capturing some old high 8 footage via an equally old Sony camera, using fire wire connected to FCP"

How do you hook THAT up? I don't think Firewire even existed in the Hi-8 days.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian Miller
on Jun 17, 2010 at 5:31:42 pm

that's what i thought - none of my hi-8 cams had FW! well ignoring that, are you seeing this on an external monitor or your computer monitor? is your easy set up correct and are your sequence settings matching your source?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jun 17, 2010 at 7:22:03 pm

Ages ago, I was able to get a Hi-8 camcorder to transfer directly with controls using iMovie via firewire on my old G4. This was one of the early versions of iMovie, but if you have a copy or can download a demo of iLife, it might be worth a try. What camera, Mac and version of FCP are you using?

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Jun 17, 2010 at 8:32:35 pm

While most if not all 8mm and Hi8 camcorders did not have Firewire I/O, later Sony camcorders of the "Digital8" format (DV video on Hi8 tape stock) had "iLink" (Sony's implementation of IEEE-1394) and could play back, but not record, Hi8 analog tapes. I'm quite sure I used such a setup to capture both Digital8 and Hi8 material. This was some time ago, I think using FCP 4 or 4.5 and maybe also iMovie, but it did work, using regular DV NTSC setup in FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]