FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Studio Pro Formats

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Natalie Konyalian
DVD Studio Pro Formats
on Jun 17, 2010 at 10:58:55 am

I am preparing to author a DVD using DVDSP (for the first time), and the videos are being edited elsewhere. They need to know what format to send me the masters in.

One person has suggested one of the following:

HDcam tape, 25fps
Quicktime file, uncompressed, 25fps, 1920x1080 on HDD
Quicktime file, H.264, 25fps, 1920x1080 on HDD / DVD / download
MPEG4 file, 25fps, 1920x1080 on HDD / DVD / download

The other people have offered to send me the master on an HD Cam SR tape, but someone else mentioned Apple Pro Res 4:2:2 HD on hard disc....

What would be the best format to receive the videos in, so that I can begin the authoring? I'm quite new to this program so any advice is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
Re: DVD Studio Pro Formats
on Jun 17, 2010 at 11:09:16 am

Hmm, if I understood you right, you are mainly asked to make a DVD from that material?
So, I would suggest to ask them for an Apple ProRes HQ File.
This you can encode then in Compressor into a Hi-Q MPEG File for the DVD.

Make sure you encode the file for the DVD in Compressor, not in FCP - the result of Compressor is much better.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Natalie Konyalian
on Jun 17, 2010 at 11:31:57 am

Thanks Sascha. Yes, I am creating a DVD from that material. It's actually two separate videos from two separate people, but both will go on the same DVD.

So, just to clarify, I shouldn't go with any of the other options I was given for the first video, but instead ask them for an Apple ProRes HQ File also? And are there any other specs I need to give them for that type of file?

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 17, 2010 at 11:46:13 am

Well, the other option contain also an MP4 - no good for a master. Also a version on Tape - does not help you either. Any Uncompressed format will help you best - and apple ProRes in Hi Quality does a very good job.
The question from which application they will render you this file out? Do they work with FCP as well?
Then it's no problem. Also After Effects has the option for Apple ProRes files. About other Apps I do not know.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Natalie Konyalian
on Jun 17, 2010 at 11:53:23 am

I know that one of the videos is being edited on Avid...they don't use FCP. I'm not sure about the other one. If they are both on Avid though, then what would be the best solution in this case?

Would this be an option?:
Quicktime file, uncompressed, 25fps, 1920x1080 on HDD (as was one of the options given to me).

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 17, 2010 at 12:06:07 pm

Yes, but also check with them about the Apple proRes option.
I do not know Avid very well, but likely they will have in the newer versions an option to export to ProRes as well. If not, an Uncompressed 8Bit or 10Bit format will be fine. The animation Codec also always worked great for me.

Greetings,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Natalie Konyalian
on Jun 17, 2010 at 12:21:59 pm

Ok great, thanks for your help Sascha!

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 17, 2010 at 12:24:39 pm

Most welcome!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 17, 2010 at 12:35:50 pm

Avid has their own compressed intermediate/mastering codec called DNxHD. It's very similar to ProRes in quality and bit rate. You can read more or download the free Quicktime codec at the linked page.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Natalie Konyalian
on Jun 17, 2010 at 12:55:08 pm

Great, thanks for the info Walter - will let them know!

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 17, 2010 at 11:52:20 am

And if you encode in Compressor, apply the "Best Quality 90min" Settings. Make sure, in the Audio Section in the Inspector window to adjust the "Dialog Normalization" to -31dBFS and the "Preprocessing" / "Compression Preset" to None, otherwise the encoded sound will be quiet low on the Volume.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 17, 2010 at 2:02:23 pm

It's been my experience that using a VBR on material isn't nearly as good as a CBR. The preset you suggest is a VBR...

The only catch here is that the video portion of the DVD is under an hour or so. If it is, a VBR is not needed at all. It's there so you can put more on a single DVD. There's no other reason to use it. In fact, why on earth would you want to lower the bit rate on some areas of the video if you don't have to? Apple's designation of "best" isn't the whole story at all.

Details get lost in VBR's for sure. Big time. What happens is that the computer sees little movement from frame to frame in an area, and then LOWERS the bit rate there. Problem is, that if the shot's content is full of detail (like trees and grass for example) they begin to pixelate. A Constant Bit Rate will not allow this to happen, and a cbr set to be around 7mbits is very very nice. No pixelation in high detail non moving shots.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 17, 2010 at 11:23:49 pm

Thats good advice Jerry. Also its important to know that this should not be a general rule since Compressor can do a poor job in VBR mode compared to other encoders on the market. Source quality is also important as well.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jun 18, 2010 at 1:20:22 pm

Ya know? Apple should have a preset for best quality being a CBR at 7mbits.. then set it to be up to be a maximum of 1 hour...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 18, 2010 at 2:39:18 pm

I think that the problem of VBR in Compressor is the preset is bad and do not unleashes the full potential of the process.
Pro application do not use Closed and Fixed GOPs. as default like Compressor does.
Had you tried with Open GOPs?
That should e the default. And with data rates as high as 7.Mbps, you can even try "Short GOPs".
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]