FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archive Strategy for Wedding Videography using Final Cut Studio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nary Von
Archive Strategy for Wedding Videography using Final Cut Studio
on Jun 16, 2010 at 9:14:58 pm

Hi,

I'm in my 2nd year as a wedding videographer and am faced with 500GB+ worth of project files per wedding / event.

1. I upload my footage from my video camera(s) to my mac: 200-400GB of .mov
2. After editing with Final Cut Pro, I export the files, edited movie + raw movie(s): 100-400GB of .mov
3. I prepare the .mov file(s) for DVD Studio with compressor: 4.25-17GB of .m2v

There are other files, like .fcp, .ac3, (.avi, .mp3 from mics), DVD Studio files. But they are too small to mention here.

I burn a DVD for the client, one set for my archive, & one set for my off site archive.
I currently keep all the files for a project on an external hard drive and a redundant copy on another external hard drive. My last couple projects were 500GB and 580GB worth of files, which seems like too much to archive.

I haven't had any clients call for another copy of a DVD after the initial sale yet, but am sure it will happen eventually. Right now I'm prepared, but I'm looking to free up some of my 1TB hard drives for future projects and don't want to keep buying $200 1TB drives to keep all these files.

Can I get some suggestions on your archive strategy? What files do you keep? In case your clients change their mind down the road and want to buy another copy of a DVD

Thanks,
Nayr

Return to posts index

Amir Abed
Re: Archive Strategy for Wedding Videography using Final Cut Studio
on Jun 16, 2010 at 10:20:50 pm

You can use the media manger to keep only what is being used in the timeline. That will free up lots of space. Something I dont understand is why you're keeping everything. It makes sense to do so if a client wants to make changes but if a client just wants another DVD copy then why don't you just keep the DVD files and trash the rest?

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 16, 2010 at 11:01:03 pm

If you kept the DVD image it would be no more than 9Gb, more like 4gb I'm sure.

Media managing a timeline as ProRes files would give a lot of latitude as well - probably get each project down to 50gb

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
on Jun 17, 2010 at 12:06:35 am

I know you said that you do not want to keep buying 1TB drives, but, drives are fairly inexpensive and compact. If you bill for the clients drive in your costs. You can back up whole projects and use a drive dock to mount a disk if you ever need to access data that you have moved off your machine.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 17, 2010 at 12:54:48 pm

There's a computer storage saying: there are those who have experienced data loss, and those who will experience data loss. Hard drives fail -- it's a matter of when, not if. How confident can you be with only copy of a piece of media on a hard drive on a shelf?

A lot of production companies have started using LTO4 tape archives in their "tapeless" workflows, but the price tag is pretty steep.

If you must continue with hard drives, first minimize what you must store as the other posters have suggested. Spin up your drives from time to time. Mark them with the date they were purchased, loaded, and last spun. Move your data to new drives as the older ones age. Keep duplicate copies on drives from another manufacturer, stored in a separate location, or maybe spanned DVD or Blu-ray backups.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Nary Von
on Jun 18, 2010 at 7:14:57 pm

Thanks for the replies.

After reading your comments, my initial plan is to keep two things:
1. disc images of every disc I sell to clients, for a minimum of 5 years (4-5 GB each) backed up on and off site with external hard drives. In case the customer wants to buy another copy down the road.
2. original .mov video that was transfered to the computer with Final Cut Pro, with .fcp file for 1 month. In case changes need to be made to the video. Then I'll delete these files forever after 1 month.

Here's the wording I use in my contract, so my customer's are aware of this:
"Changes to the DVD(s) and its contents must be requested within 1 month following receipt. Due to our archive procedure, change requests made after 1 month are not guaranteed possible. DVD(s) are archived and are able to be reproduced for a minimum of 5 years from your wedding date."

I'll delete all FCP rendered files, exported .mov from FCP, Compressor files .m2v & .ac3. I can always recreate these from the original .mov and accompanied .fcp file. That should free up a lot of space, I can handle 5-20 GB of .img files for each project after a month rolls by.

The 2 things I'll keep will be on my 2TB external drives (I said 1TB before by mistake). I also keep a copy on my redundant onsite 2TB hard drives. In addition, I keep a copy offsite as well, in case I have a fire or something. So each disc image is saved in 3 different places. I'll fire up the drives occasionally and replace when they go bad down the road.

@Amir: I don't think media manager would work for me, if it's my videos, I like to keep everything anyway. If it's a client, I offer raw footage DVDs, so all the footage is used and nothing would be weeded out. I'll take your advice on keeping only DVD files....like in my case, .img disc images

@Ben: Yeah, I like the .img idea...

@Kris: Why didn't I know that drive docks existed? I just dropped $170 on a bunch of 2TB external hard drives. I haven't checked yet, but buying standard hard drives that you can stick in your closet and pop in a dock sounds a lot easier and maybe cheaper than what I'm doing now with external drives stacked on the other side of my wall out of sight with cables coming through the wall. I need to look into drive docks next time I need to purchase some storage.

@Walter: Yes, I agree, they will fail, someday. I have them in 3 places (one of them is offsite). I'll take your advice on checking the drives from time to time.

-Nary

Return to posts index

Giuliano Bausano
on May 2, 2011 at 12:03:34 pm

Why don't you give/gift also a bluray with a backup or with all the recorded files.mov to clients, saying that this will be a MASTER copy he/she will never have to loose or he/she will loose every chances to recover data?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]