FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export cannot find codec

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Robinson
Export cannot find codec
on Jun 16, 2010 at 2:48:35 pm

I have a feature film in a sequence set at Pro res HQ 422 -1440 X 1080 pixels at 23.98fps.
There are only about 10 clips in the sequence.
I want to render it out in the same Codec (above) but I can't get it to work.

When I go to Export/ QuickTime Movie and pick current settings or the above preset, it immediately gives me an alert box saying something like "FCP can't find the codec you might be trying to render though a hardware card that is not installed." Or sometimes I get a "General Error"

The really weird thing is if I put in and out points over any 20 minutes section of the movie, it renders out just fine. It's only when I try to render the whole thing that it refuses. Plus I had rendered out the whole movie last week in that codec successfully.

I tried to export from FCP using QuickTime conversion but it doesn't offer exactly the same presets. When I picked 23.98 as the frame rate I got a skipping frame conversion. When I tried it at Current frame rate I got a weird 22. something fps, plus bad noise and banding in the shadows.
FCP did not offer the option of rendering through compressor. So I tried Share and got to compressor that way. That render with the same presets failed immediately.

It seems like something has happened to Final Cut Studio where it can't find the codec..... but only when the project is an hour & a half.

I am using a MacPro Tower w/ two dual core processors and a striped raid.
I have OS 10.5.8 with FCP 7.0.2
The project is on an external drive (raid too full) and I am in the process of moving it from a USB to a firewire 800 drive, even though it worked before through the USB. I set the scratch to that Firewire 800 1 Tb drive and it has about 150 gigs free.

We are far behind on this project and I badly need to get it out of Final Cut and delivered. Please help
Johnny

Johnny Robinson
Johnny@johnnyrobinson.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Export cannot find codec
on Jun 16, 2010 at 3:03:56 pm

It's the frame size. Make a new timeline with a 1920x1080 frame size and the Prores codec you need. Render and then File > Export > QuickTime Movie.

Return to posts index

Johnny Robinson
on Jun 16, 2010 at 3:31:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestion> I tried it but it didn't work.
This time I couldn't even render in the time line much less for export.
It came up with that same alert
"Codec not found. You may be using a compression type without the corresponding hardware card."

This is really aggravating. It looks great in the time line, HD, progressive, 24 fps. I just can't get it out.

I'll try making new sequences with different presets.

Johnny Robinson

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 16, 2010 at 4:26:12 pm

[Johnny Robinson] "24 fps."

24 or 23.98?

Return to posts index

Johnny Robinson
on Jun 16, 2010 at 4:36:32 pm

It's 23.98 fps. A lot of people say 24 when they mean 23.98 (which is really 23.976)
No wonder we get all screwed up.

You brought up a good concept. The pre-history of this bugger was that I had a frame pull down problem with shifting cadence. (see creative Cow forum on compression) I fixed all of that by rendering out individual QTs and trimming them down to the A frame and then I brought them back in to successfully get them all into sync.

So I am now thinking that the setting are just so weird that FCP thinks there are no presets that fit.

Johnny Robinson

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 16, 2010 at 5:03:56 pm

[Johnny Robinson] "So I am now thinking that the setting are just so weird that FCP thinks there are no presets that fit. "

Just for a test, try putting it in a DVCPro HD timeline, render and export. This is just a test, not a solution.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Johnny Robinson
on Jun 16, 2010 at 7:43:24 pm

Well Jeremy it might just be a solution.

I Created an HD sequence with the same frame size and frame rate and pasted the clips into it. A short export test worked. That didn't thrill me, but it gave me hope.
Then I started the long render and sure enough, it's cooking away.

If this works, the lesson to be learned will be this:
I assumed that the sequence presets should always match the media but not in this case.
I suppose Pro-Res is a publishing codec not an editing one. So FCP doesn't have the ability to render OUT OF Pro Res, only the ability to render INTO it.

Johnny Robinson

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 16, 2010 at 7:45:07 pm

[Johnny Robinson] "So FCP doesn't have the ability to render OUT OF Pro Res, only the ability to render INTO it. "

That's not really true, but sometimes the non SMPTE frame sizes trip it up. There's probably something else wrong with the media.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]