FORUMS: list search recent posts

What are the best quality audio/video settings for a Canon Vixia hf10 (AVCHD) 60i FXP files in Final Cut Pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Boone
What are the best quality audio/video settings for a Canon Vixia hf10 (AVCHD) 60i FXP files in Final Cut Pro?
on Jun 16, 2010 at 5:43:51 am

I'm using the following:

Canon HF10 camcorder (AVCHD)
•FXP High Quality settings (17Mbps) (1920x108)
•Frame rate: 60i

Which capture preset and Sequence Preset is best? Is there any other information I need to give for this answer?

I'm working on videos for a summer camp and the video guy from last year said the best quality was:
•Sequence Preset - Apple ProRes 422 (HQ 1920x1080 60i 48kHz
•Capture Preset - HDV-Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)

He said that for the purpose of space he actually used the "Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i60", but because I'm not an expert and I want to be able to have more freedom to adjust the video in post-production without noticeable quality loss, I want to start with the best possible quality.

I've been using the ProRes ones mentioned above and FCP has been giving me a message asking if I want the program to change my settings for the best quality. I assume that means that ProRes isn't the best for my footage. What is? How do I find out what FCP is suggesting as better quality settings?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Paul

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: What are the best quality audio/video settings for a Canon Vixia hf10 (AVCHD) 60i FXP files in Final Cut Pro?
on Jun 16, 2010 at 5:39:28 pm

Well, ProRes comes in 5 flavors... Proxy, LT, Std, HQ and 4444... Most projects only need the standard or even LT version. Either would be better than the AIC codec, which really loses a lot of quality from the original. The AVCHD to ProRes settings are found in the Log and Transfer window's preferences button (looks like a cog wheel above the picture window), you can select the flavor of ProRes you want to work with from there. HQ is useful if there's a lot movement going on... it also exhibits a little less noise than standard ProRes, but most can't really see the difference.

You'll not even bother with 4444... unless you've shot RED or other high end format. It won't make things look better, it preserves more of the color information that was actually shot. AVCHD is at best a 422 format so up converting it wouldn't buy you anything but less space and longer renders.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]