FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downconverting HD to SD for DVD (I've tried many solutions)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Pagan
Downconverting HD to SD for DVD (I've tried many solutions)
on Jun 16, 2010 at 4:49:54 am

Hello all
1st post - please be kind. I shot a short film with an EX-1 (1080p, 24fps) and am trying to create high-quality SD-DVD's. Every test comes out with pixelated edges on edges and horrible banding and artifacts on fine details and graphics especially whenever the camera moves. I've searched the forums and asked friends and have wasted about 25 perfectly good DVD-R's trying various solutions (increasing bitrates, pasting HD sequence into SD timeline and exporting from there to quicktime or directly to compressor, altering settings in Compressor to best, opening GOP, etc, etc) and nothing works. Curiously enough the latest dvd's look fine played on my mac DVD Player (Intel Mac Pro tower with HD monitor) but still horrible on my TV (1080i flatscreen). Does anyone have a decent workflow (currently I use FCP 6.0.6, compressor 3.0.5, DVD SP 4.2.1 - plan to upgrade to FCP 7 as soon as I'm able). My DVD player is old (about 8 years), is that the problem? Maybe? My other DVD's play fine but this is the 1st HD downconvert to SD DVD so I don't have any other DVD's to make a fair comparison. I am going to try one of my test DVD on another player this weekend but thought I'd ask here. Any ideas? Help? I'm pulling my hair out here.
thanks
Erik

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
Re: Downconverting HD to SD for DVD (I've tried many solutions)
on Jun 16, 2010 at 12:21:49 pm

Your post is one of those black holes of unknown information. You give us very little to go on. At least report your sequence settings. Making a DVD from a 1080p24 sequence is generally simple and easy--IF the proper workflow from capture, to editing the sequence, to encoding is followed.

Return to posts index

Louis McLellan
on Jun 16, 2010 at 12:33:45 pm

Try rendering it as NTSC 29.97 525 Apple Prores in your timeline, then exporting it with H264 compression and see if that helps in compressor. I've done a few HD to SD Conversions and that seems to work for me.

Editor, Sound Designer, Stop-Motion Animator, Lighting, and Pack Mule

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jun 16, 2010 at 1:06:45 pm

Edit in 1080p, 24fps

Export your timeline current settings - reference file.

Drop that ref file into compressor.

Choose Best 90min. 16:9

If your clip is short - increase bit rate some.

In frame controls choose best

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Radim Palus
on Jun 16, 2010 at 2:37:17 pm

Hi, Chris is right - specially the resize filter is very important.

I have very good experiences when exporting footage which is up to one hour when using constant bitrate at approx. 8.5 Mbit/s with BEST motion estimation and GOP set to 7 IBBP. When I used only IP or IBP, some DVD players had problems reading it. Also putting the bitrate at 9 Mbit/s made some DVD players freeze after some time.

Good Luck!

Radim

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 16, 2010 at 4:17:13 pm

generally you should not exceed 7mbps on the video stream due to
the error-correction on burnable media being much lower than replicated discs.
skipping and stuttering may occur.

also no reason to convert it to 29.97, just run it through compressor with the frame rate at 23.98 and the player will do the pulldown for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]