<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Carter
Issues with Betacam Edit to Tape in FCP
on Jun 15, 2010 at 10:51:36 pm

Equipment:
Mac Pro
Sony Betacam sp uvm 1800
Blackmagic HD Extreme

I have a sequence in 1080i60 that I am trying to print to tape out to the betacam. When I start the print to tape it begins to record then gives me a "No Input!" for a few seconds and keeps recording. When played back there is audio on the tape but no video.

My A/V Print to Tape setting in FCP is Blackmagic HDTV 1080i. My Blackmagic settings are output SDI & HDMI & Y,R-Y, B-Y and my output processing is HD to HD and SD Letterbox 16:9 with Enable Conversion on Component checked. Everything seems to be hooked up right.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Brandon Carter
Re: Issues with Betacam Edit to Tape in FCP
on Jun 15, 2010 at 11:10:00 pm

Well, I changed my print to video A/V setting to 1080i 10 bit (it was on 8 bit) and it worked. So I guess strike the above issue.

Return to posts index

Brandon Carter
on Jun 15, 2010 at 11:43:33 pm

Still have the same problem. The above solution worked on a small test. So I got ready print the rest of the footage and I have the same error again! I want to pull my hair out. So again, I appreciate any suggestions on solutions.

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Jun 16, 2010 at 12:01:51 am

You should be selecting edit to tape, not print to video.
Stripe your tape with black/code that precedes the in-point of your sequence.
In the edit to tape window, set the in-point as the starting TC of your sequence.
Before any of this though, with the Blackmagic Extreme, like you said, set your downconversion processing in the BMD controls in your system preferences. Then change your video output in FCP to either 8 or 10-bit NTSC despite the sequence being HD. Also, make sure FCP's device control is for 29.97 NTSC so that it will properly communicate with the BetaSP deck.
Print to video in FCP is primarily for outputting to DV devices.
Let me know if this solves your issue.

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator/Engineer
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

Brandon Carter
on Jun 16, 2010 at 1:02:35 am

I'm going to do what you said and I pray it works (because I'm late with this project). Through all of this mess, I did get the print to video to work. I watched the tape and had two issues 1) my audio was overmodulating bad. However, my audio is not peaking in my sequence 2) I had green/gray screen "blips" during the playback. Do you think edit to tape will correct these items?

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Jun 16, 2010 at 2:31:39 am

Green/Grey screen blips? Don't know. Are you dropping frames during edit to tape? Is your sequence FULLY RENDERED? Under render settings, check everything to render.
As far as overmodulated audio, you need to understand the difference between digital audio (in FCP) and analog audio (your BetacamSP deck).
Outside of giving you a lengthy discussion about about the differences between digital and analog audio and how they correspond to one another since you're in a pinch, adjust your audio in FCP so that your peaks on the BetaSP deck's VU meters are between 0 and +3. Make your kilohertz tone in FCP for -20db which should land at or near around 0db analog on your deck. Average loudness on your analog deck should be around -3db to 0db analog with peaks not going over +3db for broadcast, but broadcast acceptability changes every day.
Adjust your audio in the viewer until it checks in correctly on the analog deck.
Hope this helps.

Chad Brewer
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

Brandon Carter
on Jun 16, 2010 at 4:42:13 am

OK, I tried what you suggested and it worked. Except for one problem. I kept getting a drop frame error in this one particular spot. On the last pass I was able to get beyond that drop frame error spot and get the whole file burned. The only problem is that right at that drop frame area, my video now goes to black. I still have audio but no video. My line is fully rendered (all items checked under the render all button) I have done the audio mix down. Any suggestions on this?

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Jun 21, 2010 at 11:48:26 pm

I do have a suggestion on this. Sorry it is days later, but still I hope it helps you in the future.
If your FCP sequence is having dropped frames while editing to tape under a fully rendered sequence, it may be because your system is not able to process an effect or a filter or a transition or what have you at that point while editing to the machine. To solve this in the future, export your finished, rendered timeline as a self-contained Quicktime and put it in a new sequence with the same settings as your exported file. Proceed to edit to tape as I described before and I bet you won't suffer any dropped frames.

Chad Brewer
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]